Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead ground clearance

Does anyone know them minimum highth for the P of A on an overhead service. It has been about 2 years since I last did an overhead job. I know that there is a difference between heights for vehicle clearance and personal yard (no vehicle). I want to say it is like 10 & 12 feet but that was also for city codes, this job is county. I can't find the paper I was given back then with the heights for if I ever needed to know for the future. I live in Phx, AZ and the house is in Payson. Any ideas of where I could find this on the web?

In my jurisdiction it is 12 feet minimum and 15' over a driveway or roadway.

Rather than looking online, simply call your local electrical inspectors office and you will get the information pertinent to your location.

Comment

Thanks for jogging my memory. You are right with the 12 & 15 feet. After getting the specs page from APS, I was looking at the old service feeds and they were under 10' at the lowest point. Do codes vary much from city to county. I've been doing custom homes for about 5.5 years and don't have problems passing inspection. This is my first job under a county inspection. I've heard a few odd things like all lighting & outlets most be 20 amp breaker. The owner says 15 amps are ok now but doesn't need ARC fault for bedrooms. Any tips on things to look out for as city compared to county may differ?

Comment

In Mass it's 18 feet allowing for droop. 12 & 15 foot is allowed according to the NEC but trailers have a minumum clearance of 13 ft 9 inches from the ground to the uppermost part of the trailer

Comment

As of Jan 2001 arc faults ARE required in ALL bedroom circuits

Comment

You know I've asked him that question 3 times and he keeps saying that county hasn't said anything about it. I keep telling him he needs them, but he doesn't want to spend the money on them. I've told him that if it fails for that reason that I will not make a return trip to fix it. Only time will tell.

Comment

The NEC covers all electrical codes in the USA. Local jurisdictions cannot derate these, only suppliment to these requirements.

Check out this site: www.mikeholt.com

Very informitive electrical information backed up by the National Electric Code (NEC)

~Do it Right or Not at All~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =