Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring for 220 volts

I am buying a wire feed welder which runs off of 220. The previous owner has an outlet that was supposed to be used for a 220 welder it's wired in off of two 40 amp circuit breakers each wire coming from a seperate breaker and one wire to the ground. My question is: Is this ok to run the welder I am buying? The welder specs.are as follows:Input: 230V, 60Hz, single phase, Welding current range; 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15%@115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V. Also if the plug-in receptable doesn't match up to the welder cord is it easy to replace to accomm[?]odate the welder power cord? Thanks, any info. would be appreciated.--Ray

2 single breakers can act as a 220 breaker. With a 2 pole breaker, it makes sure that you are using both sides of the feed. As for the cord, is it a round plug with 3 curved prongs. You can buy an outlet for the plug. The wire should be okay for what you want but to make sure the last owner did everything correct, the wire size should be a #8 for a 40 amp breaker which will still be ok for you. You just need to make sure what your max breaker size is even if its only 15 amps. Your specs are confussing, is it 30amp/120V or 15amp/230V? Some things can run off 110V or 220V depending on how it's wired.

Comment

The welder specs.are as follows:Input: 230V, 60Hz, single phase, Welding current range; 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15%@115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V.

Nothing at all confusing about those specs: It is a straight 230V machine that draws 15amps.

The existing 230v 40amp circuit should be more than adequate to handle the load, however The present 40 amp breaker could handle nearly 3 times the demand load without tripping, not much of a safety factor there, I would want to either reduce the ampacity of the main breaker or install a small sub-panel breaker near the machine and drop the breaker size to not more than 20amps. .

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

The welder specs.are as follows:Input: 230V, 60Hz, single phase, Welding current range; 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15%@115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V.

Nothing at all confusing about those specs: It is a straight 230V machine that draws 15amps.

The existing 230v 40amp circuit should be more than adequate to handle the load, however The present 40 amp breaker could handle nearly 3 times the demand load without tripping, not much of a safety factor there, I would want to either reduce the ampacity of the main breaker or install a small sub-panel breaker near the machine and drop the breaker size to not more than 20amps. .

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. Sounds as though the 40 amp. circuit breakers are good to go for my welder. I checked the wires coming from the breakers to the wall plug and they are 14 guage for both individual breakers, is that sufficient enough for that welder? Thanks again--Ray

Comment

NO!!!!!!! Az Lazypup stated: drop breaker size to not more than 20amps, but if you are sure the existing wire is only 14 gauge. Only use a 15amp 2 pole breaker (less than $10 new). Lazypup, I guess seeing that extra 30-120amps is what confused me (not hard to do). ME PERSONALLY---- If I found a 40amp breaker on 14 gauge wire (15amps MAX), I would be going thru the house with a magnifying glass to see what else the past owner has done!!!! If you can't do it, HIRE someone! TJ!!

Comment

The welders input power draw is 230v 15a.

The output power to the welding leads is 36v and an adjustable amperage range from 30-120amps.

At 120a it has a maximum duty cycle of 15% which means you can only run an arc for 9 seconds out of every minute at the maximum amp draw of 120amps, otherwise you run a risk of overheating the unit.

There should be a table printed on the unit that will define what the duty cycle is for each amperage available.

i can't imagine anyone dumb enough to use a 40amp breaker to feed AWG 14 wire. I don't have a wire ampacity chart handy but I would suspect that AWG 14 wire would vaporize from heat before the breaker would trip. Wire is just tooo cheap to take chances like that.

The post doesn't state how long the run is from the main electrical panel to the point where the welder outlet is but if it were me, I would consider keeping the 40a breakers at the main panel and running a new wire to a small 4 slot sub-panel where I could install a dual 15am breaker for the welder and a couple 120v 20A circuits for a Grinder and sawzall at the welding station.

Perhaps Hayzee will pop in and tell us what size wire he would need.

Comment

40 amp is 8 gauge wire. 40 amps on a 14 gauge wire is a no no. Especially a looonnnnggggg 14 gauge wire! Do what Lazypup says. 40 amps to a sub panel load center for a feed THEN use a double 15 to feed the welder. 15% duty cycle isn't much!

Comment

Thanks again for your very informative suggestions. I will do as HayZee suggested, that is add in a sub panel with double 15 amps from the 40 amp. breaker at the main panel. The run distance that the previous owner had with the 14 guage was 3 feet. How long and how often he used it I have no idea.-Thanks--Ray

Comment

MAYBE THIS DIAGRAM WILL HELP YOU

Comment

Thanks Lazypup and Hayzee, I will install the sub-panel as soon as I can. Again I appreciate your inputs. I hope you will let me "pick your brains again." I am sure I will have more quetions down the road. The diagram will help alot! --Regards Ray

Comment

3 feet, replace the wire. It is only like $1.30/foot. Lazypup thanks for the info about how the welders operate.

Comment

For a 3 foot run I would change out the breaker and wire and skip the sub-panel.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =