Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track lighting stopped working

I have dual track lighting in kitchen, working on same circuit/switch. One side just stopped working. I changed bulbs, checked for live current but that is the extent of my "expertise". The other side works fine. I am new to this forum and hoping that someone can help.

ultragolf

You say you checked for live current, how did you do this? Do you have a voltage tester? You can buy a non-contact voltage tester, remove a lightbulb and hold the tester near the socket to see if it beeps or not.

You say both tracks are controlled by the same switch. Open the breaker and remove the switch cover so you can describe how the wires are connected in the switch box. I'm guessing you may have a loose connection at the switch but need to know how the wires are connected and what color they are before advising.

Comment

The track lighting connectors use either push in terminals or screw connections at the juncture point. The connector slides into the end of the track and then locks with a single screw in the center. Two stabs connect to the wires which are embedded in a plastic channel, one on either side of the track. Single circuit track receptacle devices have stabs that are 180 degrees apart from each other and mate with the track conductors. This is usually a push in and turn one quarter rotation to lock to the track.
      Check the connector to see if the track channel widened at some point and there is no connection to the track. You may be able to squish it back together using channel lock pliers covered with tape.
      The other is the switch connections as Kactus mentioned.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =