Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Stove Top with Range

We are remodeling and will be changing out our stove top with a range. The current wiring is bx cable with one red, one black and one white wire. The current breaker is 2 - 2 pole 30 amp breakers. The installation manual states "You must us a 3-wire, single-phase A.C. 208Y/120 Volt or 240/120 Volt, 60 hertz electrical system." The appliance store sold us a 3 pole -4 wire surface mount range outlet (requiring 2 hot wires, one neutral and one ground) and a 4 wire range power cord. Will we be able to utilize the existing wiring for the new range or should we just run new from the box?

New installations require by code the 4 wire plug and receptacle. Also the older ranges or stove tops only needed 30 amps. Most ranges need a minimum of 65 amps 6/4 cable.

Comment

Thanks for answering. I guess we'll just run all new. I figured that's what we'd have to do. I was looking for an easy out.

Comment

Appliance wiring

Originally posted by the.vicster
        Thanks for answering. I guess we'll just run all new. I figured that's what we'd have to do. I was looking for an easy out.
        Just a minute
        Before you arbitraily re-wire, first determine the load so that you can properly size the run, if its needed.
        From the same nomenclatue information will also be a power requirement stated in watts, such as 7KW or 7000 watts. You divide this value by the voltage you have available and this will then determine the operating current of the appliance.
        To size the breaker and wire you add 20% to the operating current.

Should it turn out that your existing wire and breaker will work, the red and black are the two hot conductors, the white is the neutral and since your run is in BX the metalic casing acts as the ground. There needs to be a metal box at the appliance recepticle location to which you attach a conductor from the new recepticle grond terminal, to the bonding screw in the box.
        Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Working...
        X
        =