Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Speedy-Petey

If you have a lamp rated 60 watts that normally operates on 240 volts, what would be the current draw if it operates on 120 volts?

Whatever math I did was wrong.

This is the best I could come up with.
    I'll stick to doing things how I know.
    Last edited by Speedy Petey; 03-26-2008, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Unless I am doing something wrong, I get .5A

Comment

The POWER represented by P never changes. P=EI - The E or voltage is a variable and I the current is variable.
        60 divided by 240 equals a quarter amp. 60 divided by 120 equals a half amp. Because you are operating the 240 bulb at half its rated voltage the amperage is double its normal operating amperage. Therefore the bulb operates at a half amp.

Comment

SO then why did you ask?
          Was this some sort of test?

I always knew a lamp worked at half wattage at half voltage, so I did the math to see if I my thinking was correct and came up different. I was wrong because I did the wrong math. I thought into it too much.
          I should have stuck to my instinct.

Comment

Just to make sure I have this straight, the 60 watt lamp at 240 volts glows at 60 watts (naturally), so at 120 volts it would glow at only 15 watts a 1/4 of it's rated output with 1/2 of the power supply ?
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

No, no test. Just a problem for discussion. All the incandescent nightlights I have in my house are 240 volt 6S6 bulbs. I put these in - in the year 2000 and they are still working. The 6S6 bulb has a base like the old Xmas tree bulbs. The 60 watt bulb operating at 240 volts draws a quarter amp. If you operate it at 120 volts the wattage reduces by one-half. The current is the same a quarter amp. 60 divided by 240 = .25. 30 divided by 120 = .25.

Comment

No Push.

60w@ 240v = 30w@120v

I over though it and confused myself over something extremely simple.

Comment

Alot of people do that. They don't think "out of the box" Don't you find many people complicating something simple? Engineers are good for that. Take a simple switch and add a bunch of relays - Boom! complicated circuits.

Comment

Thanks speedy....Now I'm unconfused.
                    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Nuther question........
                      Say you have a common residential dryer operating at 150 feet from the panelbox. Assuming the dryer is a 2.7Kw. What is the size of the feeder (voltage drop no more than 3% per hundred feet)

Comment

#10cu @ 150 feet @ 240v @ 11.25 amps = 1.74375% voltage drop

Even with an imbalance from the 120v items it is well below 3%

Comment

1 conductor(s) per phase utilizing a 12 AWG Copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 2.43% or less when supplying 11.2 amps for 150 feet on a 240 volt system.

For Engineering Information:

* 20 Amps Rated ampacity of selected conductor
                          * 1.9029 Ohms Resistance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
                          * 0.054 Ohms Reactance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
                          * 7.2 volts maximum allowable voltage drop at 3%
                          * 5.83 Actual voltage drop loss at 2.43% for the circuit
                          * 0.9 Power Factor

Comment

It's an electric clothes dryer. I'd still use #10.

Comment

For a regular circuit of: #12 @ 150' @ 240v with 11.25 amps I get 6.6825 volt drop equaling 2.784375%

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =