Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New circuit for garage MIG Welder

I was thinking about running a new circuit that would be dedicated for my 120v MIG welder in the garage.

I have 20A circuits already that i ran in there but I imagine I couldn't run a single other thing on that cuicuit without trippin it.

QUESTION:
    1. Would a 20a dedicated circuit do the trick or would I be better off running a 30A?
    2. If running a 30A can I still use the 12/2?
    3. If i do install a 30A circuit, should it be single or double pole?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Wow. You really need to get the basics of circuits down before going any further.

NO, you CANNOT use a 30A breaker on #12 wire.
    NO, you CANNOT use a 30A breaker on a "standard" 15 or 20A receptacle.

Whether you use a single pole or double pole breaker is determined by what circuit you need.
    A single pole would be used for a 120v circuit.
    A double pole would be used for a 240v, a 120/240v or a multi-wire (shared neutral) circuit.

Match the circuit to the load. If the welder requires a 120v 20A circuit use 12/2 on a single pole 20A breaker.
    If it requires a 240v 30A circuit use 10/2 on a two-pole 30A breaker.
    There are dozens of other circuit/wire/receptacle combinations possible.

Comment

Is your garage detached [ away from the house] or attached [by means of a hallway] & door?

Comment

ALL 120v 15 & 20 amp receptacles in a garage MUST be GFI protected.

Yes, a welder may nuisance trip a GFI on occasion, but you just have to deal with this.

Comment

I am still trying to do this thing and still have the NEC work for me.
          I knew i saw something a while back about overamperage, conductors, arc welders and duty cycle. The code allows for a larger breaker using smaller conductor because of the special application of arc welders and duty cycle.

What GFCI do I use if I am using 12/2, a 30A breaker and still remain within Article NEC 630.11 (CA)?

Last edited by vdotmatrix; 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM.
          It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =