Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Question

I am getting ready to help a friend out with installing a new circuit in a storage area.. I will use one of the 2 circuits previously wired from main panel to the shop area as my power source (obtained at mid point junction box). Both circuits are breakered at 30 amps at main panel. When I opened up the junction box where I want to take the power from I found (1) black wire continuing on to the remote shop box (assume circuit #1 power to shop), (2) red wire in from main box connected to black out to remote shop box (assume circuit #2 power to shiop), a white and a green wire continuing on to remote shop box. Both the white AND green wire are connected to the nuetral buss in the main panel. Is the green a ground or nuetral return for circuit #2? I can't access the remote panel to open and look at it until the owner arrives with the keys in about a week but am just wondering as I have never seen a green connected to the neutral buss. I have attached a quick drawing to show what I am talking about.

what size wires are coming off the 30 amp breakers? the remote box is now called a sub-panel. the green and white coming off the main panel is ok but where they terminate in the remote panel, the white goes to an isolated neutral and the ground goes to an aux ground strip.

Comment

wire size

all wires coming off the main panel 30a breakers to the sub panel are 10 ga... Thank you for the reply... I can almost bet that the green wire to the sub-panel is connected to a ground bus that is seperate from the neutral bus. Will know more when I gain access to the shop where the sub-panel is located (hopefully tomorrow)

Comment

Working...
      X
      =