Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motion sensor light switch help

The first picture is what I have: an existing light switch interrupting a hot run. The other two pictures are instructions that came with a motion sensor light switch. I can't wrap my head around what I need to do to wire it in to control the lighting in the room. I'd appreciate any help.

- Wm

Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

Your first picture shows what's known as a switch leg. The white wire should have been colored black. There doesn't seem to be a neutral in the box. That motion sensor switch needs to be powered, so it won't work without a neutral. You either have to replace the existing wiring with a 3-wire plus ground Romex, or find a motion detector switch that doesn't require a neutral. Check out the Leviton PR180, which gets its power through the load.

Comment

The third picture that illustrates the switch shows the neutral just passing the switch by, with the switch interrupting only the black - which seems similar to the switch leg. Am I reading that incorrectly?
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
      Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

No, you're correct. I read the diagram too quickly. The neutral in the picture bypasses the switch. You just have to figure which of the 2 switch wires is the hot one & which goes to the light fixture & connect them accordingly. Sorry about the confusion.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =