Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-Wax vinyl floor maintenance

Greetings,

I have a "no-wax" vinyl floor in my kitchen and dining room. It's about fifteen years old. I know it won't last forever, but replacing it is a huge hassle, or very expensive, so I try to maintain it properly.

Every few years, I strip it, then apply a coat of sealer, such as TreWax Gold Label Sealer Wax. Today, I went to my usual big box hardware store to get more sealer wax. The guy in the flooring department says they don't carry sealer or wax for no-wax vinyl flooring. He says he's worked in the flooring department for several years, he's never heard of it. He added, "Why do you think they are called "no-wax floors"?

I asked what people use to maintain and protect their vinyl floors. He recommended Armstrong Once N Done. He said it's all I need, and it is the only product recommended by Armstrong for their no-wax vinyl floors.

Chances are, Once N Done is about the same stuff as Mop & Glo. I use Mop & Glo for routine cleaning and finishing, but it seems inadequate for sealing and restoring an older vinyl floor.

Googling around, I find contradictory advice. I can't find sealer wax, of any brand, at any hardware store.

As far as I can tell, it's probably best to strip the floor periodically, apply a coat or two of sealer and then use Once N Done or Mop & Glo for routine cleaning and finishing. But... I've been wrong before.

I'm hoping to get a few expert opinions here. Thanks in advance.

Hey there!

It sounds like you've been doing a great job keeping up with your vinyl floors, and it's impressive that you’re looking for the best ways to care for them. The term "no-wax" vinyl can be a bit misleading—it doesn't mean the floor never needs any maintenance, just that it doesn’t require regular waxing like older types of vinyl did.

From what you’ve described, it seems like the advice from the store might be a bit off. Products like Armstrong Once N Done are really good for regular cleaning but don’t actually seal or restore the floor. For older no-wax vinyl, you’re right to be cautious about what products you use.

If you’re set on applying a sealer, make sure it’s specifically designed for vinyl floors. Even if your local stores don’t carry it, sometimes specialized flooring retailers or online options might have what you need. And it’s always a good idea to check the manufacturer’s guidelines or talk to a flooring pro for tailored advice.

In the meantime, if Mop & Glo is working for you, it’s not a bad choice for routine care—just remember it won’t restore or protect the floor in the same way a sealer might.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit! Feel free to ask if you have more questions.​

Comment

Working...
    X