Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black adhesive old tile

in the bathroom downstairs i am remodeling the enitire thing and you can see it at the following link:

the old floor on concrete was i guess linoleum...the adhesive used was some black tarry substance that has hardened and i track into the kitchen upstairs.

it is absolutely dry and not stuicky but do i have to remove this before i re-tile with ceramic and NU-HEAT?

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

The black tarry substance is probably "Black Asphaltum" which was a flooring adhesive that was quite popular 20 or so years ago.

Heavy buildups of black asphaltum can be removed by heating with an electric heat gun (an industrial strength electric hair dryer) and scraping.

To install the Nu-Heat they will first have to install a special type of sub-flooring that has slots for the radiant tubing. There should be no problem installing the sub-flooring material over concrete with a light film of black asphaltum.

Best advice would be to contact your installer or if its a DIY project contact your Nu-Heat supplier and ask them.

On some radiant heat systems they first apply a reflective membrane under the subflooring so the black asphaltum should present no problem.

Comment

i said the heck with this and did a skim coat of some quickset mortar and covered this nightmare up! i got on with my life.
      quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

The black tarry substance is probably "Black Asphaltum" which was a flooring adhesive that was quite popular 20 or so years ago.

Heavy buildups of black asphaltum can be removed by heating with an electric heat gun (an industrial strength electric hair dryer) and scraping.

To install the Nu-Heat they will first have to install a special type of sub-flooring that has slots for the radiant tubing. There should be no problem installing the sub-flooring material over concrete with a light film of black asphaltum.

Best advice would be to contact your installer or if its a DIY project contact your Nu-Heat supplier and ask them.

On some radiant heat systems they first apply a reflective membrane under the subflooring so the black asphaltum should present no problem.
      It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =