Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I cut quarter rounds for corners?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I cut quarter rounds for corners?

Hi all!
    I've been helping my buddy put in laminate flooring over the past few weekends.

We got the whole thing in and we're working on putting 1/4 rounds around his fireplace right now.

How the heck do I cut it to make an outward corner around the fireplace?
    Is this even possible because of the shape?

A corner going in (such as the corner of a wall) I can figure out, just can't figure out how to go the other way.
    Thanks!

If your corners are square, the piece you throw away after cutting your "inward corner" is the one you use for your "outward corner".

Comment

But how do I get a good seam with the rounded edge? How do I get them to meet flush?

Comment

In a perfect world the corner should be a true 90 degrees so you would cut a 45 degree miter on the end of each mating piece.

It the real world things are seldom a true 90 degree corner. You can get an angle finder that will measure the exact angle of the corner, then each miter is exactly 1/2 of the angle.

In order to cut moldings that finite one needs an adjustable miter box or a powered miter saw.

The second option it to cut the 45 degree angles with a simple miter box, Use a sandpaper block to fit the pieces as best you can and fill the gap with wood filler or caulking.

Comment

Cut the end of 2pcs of quarter round with 45 degree and 135 degree separately. Then the ends of the 2pcs of quarter round can be put together well at the corner. The gap for laminate flooring can't be too big or too big.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =