Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i start over?

I installed the dawn 6008. ( see http://www.solistone.com/pb-tiles4.htm ).

I had to add another skim coat becasue the grout was too low and felt bad on your feet for the bathroom.

Now I think the grout is a little too high and cleaning around each pebble is a bit tedious but doable.

can I just use a dilute muriatic acid solution and dissolve the grout and start over carefully regrouting knowing what I know now or should I just continue with what I have been doing with my dremmel tool?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Using the muriatic to try to dissolve the grout might make a real problem if it gets under the pebbles an breaks the bond of the mastic

Comment

YUP. That's what I thought. However. The instructions say to use a 10% soln. of muriatic to clean the tiles and it does bubble and dissolves as I scrubbed away some surface mortar and grout, but i was a fraid that the acid would seep and make real problems especially if it gets into the radiant floor heat at grade. OUCH!

Thanks as always for the speedy reply.

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

Using the muriatic to try to dissolve the grout might make a real problem if it gets under the pebbles an breaks the bond of the mastic
      It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

When i was working maintenance for a city school system in Massachusetts I had to regrout an entire 35' x 100' girls locker room, floors and walls, including 24 shower stalls because the custodians had repeatedly used muriatic over the years and the grout was now porous allowing water to go through the floor and ceiiing below into the boys locker room.

On the lighter side,,,,,,,I just happened to be looking at the book for my ROTO-ZIP and discovered that they make a special bit for removing tile grout. Use the router base attachment to maintain the depth and work carefully that should make quick order of removng the excess.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =