Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latex primer? peel & stick

I need to get a floor down fast! - I was going to use commercial vinly (not self stick type) but have been told if I buy a high end residential vinyl self stick it will go down easier and will last a few years.

I plan on putting luan over existing sub floor - where do I get the latex primer recommended on this board.

I used a high quality self stick residential tile in my last house. It did wear really well. I layed the luan floor panels down, puttyed the cracks and any divots, and was VERY judicious in making sure NO nails were protruding. All was flush and well swept and vacuumed. Used no primer. Layed out the centering chalk lines (n/s, e/w) and made sure the arrows on the tile backs were always the same direction. Once you set that tile down, there's no adjusting!!! To pull it up, you destroy it. Possibly a heat gun would help recover an errant placement. Never tried that. It lasted well past 6 years before it started showing where any chairs were always at. Traffic patterns still barely showed after almost ten years. I thought that was pretty good for something non-ceramic. Oh yeah, it always bothered me to see the two spots where the nail heads were not flush with the luan. It telegraphed through to the tile surface and always called my name!!!

Comment

If you are going to use a self stick tile i would get some thinspread adheasive and glue the floor as well.
      Also luan is not a suitable substrate for vinyl or v.c.t.tile any longer none of the manufacturers will gaurantee their floor over luan anymore,you would need to use multiply,or sure floor or something like that.
      Patching the seams is a good idea ,you want to patch them twicwe cause the first coat will shrink somewhat,let dry thouroughly and then sand,sweep or vacume,strike a control line,glue and then tile

Floorman
      floorlayers union local 1310
      Floorman

Comment

in the past i used a thin layer of vinyl adhesive until I tried the later primer once......the latex is less messy and works 100% better...

you can buy it at lowes or home depot

Comment

You can get the latex primer at any Lowes or Home Depot in the aisle with the self sticking tiles.

jtfoxman

Jtfoxman
          Jtfoxman

Comment

Sure you can use a primer just make sure that you don't leave any puddles and the primer is dried completely before trying to install any tile over it cause if it is wet it will kill the glue and then you are left with apiece of tile that don't stick,so i just go with the glue and avoid any of those possibilties.
            Helps me sleep better at night[8D]

Floorman
            Floorman

Comment

You can use the primer but i would prefer to use the glue cause if you have any puddles or the primer is not dry enough then you are left with a piece of tile that won't stick so i just use the glue.
              Helps me sleep better at night[8D]

Floorman
              Floorman

Comment

Working...
              X
              =