Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newly installed hardwood floors making noise?!?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newly installed hardwood floors making noise?!?

We had hardwoord floors (red oak) installed on a second floor (ripped out previous carpeting) and a stair case a couple weeks back. We had the wood in the house for 4-5 days before it was installed, but we had to keep it on the 1st floor for a lot of reasons.

A few days ago while watching TV on the first floor, we heard a creaking cracking noise from the second floor every so often. This also happens at night when we are sleeping. We have figured out it is the flooring, but can't figure out what is going on.

This noise happens when no one is up there, no one is walking on the floor. We have an old house (so no straight lines in the place!)

Are the floors still adjusting to heat and moiture changes? Are the floors just settling in and this is normal at first? Is this likely permanent? Were the floors installed improperly? Is there anything I can check to figure out if you have a problem? I haven't noticed any buckling or gaps showing up.

Do I just chalk it up to ghosts? Any thoughts or experiences would be great, thanks so much!

It will take a few weeks for the floor to adjust to the new digs.Give it another week or so and if the problem is still there then start looking at the wall lines to see if the wood might be too tight and when it expands it has no where to go except against the wall and thus bunches up and then creaks.
    If still persists after the 2 weeks or so then do an excorsism on the house and see if that help.
    I would say that it is just acclimating though and should subside if not get back to us and let us know what it is doing and we will see if we can come up with an answer for you[8D]

Floorman
    floorlayers union local 1310
    Floorman
    floorlayers union local 1310

Comment

Thanks so much! It was quieter last night, I'll see how the next couple weeks go and let you know.

Comment

Try sprinkling some talcum powder on the joints, this will allow slipping and sliding on a small scale.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =