Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Strength

I recently purchased a gun safe that weighs about 990 pounds and plan on placing it in my family room over a crawl space. The floor has a span of 16 feet and is supported by 2 X 10's joists on 16 inch centers and has 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood nailed to the top of the floor joists. The safe will be placed in a corner as a permanent location. Am I correct in assuming the the floor is strong enough to support transporting the safe to the corner and then strong enough to support it permanently while in the corner.

Thanks

1/2 inch is too thin. I have an unfinished floor above a room on 24 on centers. I haVE TO put up 3/4 to make it any kind of floor.

Comment

I do not think that this would be safe either to transport across it or to hold it for any length of time and not sag ,if you made it that far to begin with.2x 10's are not that strong and the length of the span concerns me too,16 feet is a long way to go ,once you got it to the corner it may be o.k. but getting it there would be real scary.Don't know if i would try that or not without first testing the floor somehow.Maybe string a line across the floor and get some weighths and place them on the floor and see how far it sags.
      What sort of finished floor is down now?Carpet?tile?[8D]

Floorman
      floorlayers union local 1310
      Floorman

Comment

Floorman, maybe the 2 X 10's are really 2 X 12's. Would that make it better? The floor is carpeted right now.

Comment

It would certainly help.Is there any way to get up under there and put in some bracing of some sort?It sure help matters if you could get another makeshift beam in there somehow or another.Or have any other way to beef this floor up?
          Sure would take some of the guess work out of wether this floor is gonna hold up or not[8D]Sorry not trying to be a the sour puss here just the devils advocate is all

Floorman
          Floorman

Comment

Working...
          X
          =