Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix floor noise

We are putting down new sheet flooring where the installer will be putting down new subflooring. We have an existing noise that migrates from a squeek in the summer to a thump - thump - thump in the winter.

I am going to try to get rid of the noise when the subflooring is removed. Should I use wood screws or a cement coated nail to try to fix the noise?

Thanks,

Daniel

I would put down Liquid Nails construction adhesive on top of the joists and then use wood screws to fasten down the new subfloor.

Comment

The job is done with mixed results.

The flooring guy came to the house, and I took off the day to be there. I told him about the problem and he thought he knew where the problem lay.

I told him I would fix it while he was cutting the new sub flooring out in the driveway. Here's where I was surprised. He wasn't removing the old flooring. He just put some long screws into the floor where the squeek was and drove some nails down in other places.

He put down the new sub floor and laid the sheet goods. The squeeking didn't totally stop but is more subdued.

I get another chance to finish the job when we replace the carpet in the adjoining bedroom. The main squeek runs from the bathroom into the bedroom well into the middle of the room. This time I will take up the carpet myself and find the offending joint and place some screws into the floor until it stops!

Daniel

Comment

Go underneath where the floor - subfloor - is and take a squeeze bottle loaded with baby powder. Squirt the baby powder betwen the sub floor and the joist. The baby powder will lubricate the wood to wood contact - no more squeeks.

Comment

Alas,

This is an upstairs bedroom, and I would have to remove the drywall ceiling to do that. My best chance is to wait until the carpet gets laid this summer.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
          X
          =