Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marble tile installation question

Hi,

I have been asked to do a small tile installation job. The homeowner has replaced his fireplace and wants to change the tile surround and on the floor at the foot of the fire place. I have found out that the tile ordered by the homeowner is marble. Did some research and found some installation notes that discuss moisture sensitive marble tile cautions. I have the homeowner checking with his tile supplier to ask if the marble tile he has ordered is moisture sensitive.

As I read, moisture sensitive marble tiles can curl or warp. I believe this is due the porous nature of marble and the use of thinner marble tiles.

I am fairly confident installing ceramic tiles, but have not done marble. Before committing to do this small job, I need info on cutting and installing marble tile. I had originally thought about renting a tile saw, would the water used with the saw cause any problems to the marble tile?

Can anyone provide info on how to properly install marble tile.

Appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks, DC206
    Last edited by dc206; 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM.

First of all you will need a wet saw, marble will chip horribly if you try to score and snap it. Also get yourself a tile file ($8), so after you have cut it you can clean up the edges.
    You will need a good quality tile glue, either a mastic or a mortar based will do, just make sure you get the flexi.....type if your going to use a mortar based product or add flexibond additive.
    Most marble tiles nowadays are sealed and at least have a high polished face side, do not leave the tiles wet after cutting, dry them off with a towel.
    Hope this helps.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks Pushkins,

Your info is helpful. Not sure if I want to get into this, but will decide tomorrow once we get a chance to look the job over.

DC206

Comment

I was looking at the home and garden tv on cable. They had the rock guys on it. They said all types of marble is porous and needs to be sealed. What they recommend is pure mineral oil applied with a rag. It will darken the stone a little but will lighten up over time. A good paste wax will finish the job. Bowling Alley wax is pure paste wax.

Comment

One more question about marble. We will need to install the marble around the gas shut off valve in the wall alongside the fireplace. How would we cut out of the valve? The hole will be between 3/4 to 1" in diameter to accommodate the valve stem sleeve. Do we try to drill a hole that size and with what? or do we piece around the valve stem with two pieces of marble notched to straddle the valve stem sleeve?

Thanks

DC206

Comment

a core type diamond drill is used for any hole 1 inch and above. stick a water soaked sponge inside the hole saw and cut at very low speed.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518 for the advice on the hole cutting saw and water soaked sponge.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =