Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I clean tile glue off cement floor?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I clean tile glue off cement floor?

My basement had 12x12 tiles when we moved in. We have had several water issues and the tile is all coming up. I would like to clean the tile glue off the floor and just paint it at least until we can solve the leaking problems. Can someone tell me what to use to clean the glue residue off the floor and how to prepare it to paint?
    Thanks.

two ways to do this. use a propane torch with a flame spreader attachment and soften the glue then scrape it. other one is to use acetone [which will smell awfully strong] to dissolve the glue and scrape it off. use a respirator if you go this route.

Comment

Ditto - If you are lucky and they did a poor job the thinset will come right up. If they used Mastic it will be a tad tougher. I use an ice scraper, not the kind for your car, but your driveway. It is not too bad of a job, usually an afternoon for one person in a large room.

Comment

thinset removal

best way by far is renting a hilti demo hammer at home depot and get their tile scraper bit which is 6" wide and flat...it works great for thinset removal...

ceramictilepro

Comment

Working...
        X
        =