Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil burner won't light

I have a honeywell R8182D controller. Last week the reset kicked out and I had to reset it (press it) and the burner fired up. I happened a couple more times but each time I pressed the reset and it fired up. This moring it would not start. I pulled the gun and it looks like it's getting fuel, I also bled the line and I didn't have any air. The blower runs so apparently I'm not getting spark. I think the blower and transformer power come off the same termanals on the controller B1-C2 so if the blower is working it must be the transformer.
    Does anyone know what the voltage should be between B1 and C2.
    Also is there an easy way to test the transformer (I'm trying not to get belted with high voltage).

The saga coninues. I removed the cover containing the photo eye safety switch to insure it was clean and to try to test the transformer. I then turned on the burner but the blower never started and I didn't get to test the transformer as there was no power to them, must be too much light on the photo cell??. I reattached the cover and the burner fired right up (life is good). 2 hours ago the blower would run but the burner would NOT fire, all I did was take the cover off and put it back on? I didn't 'fix' anything so I know this will haunt me another day!!! The good news is it's supposed to be in the 50's for the next few days and I also have a wood stove so it will be uncomfortable at worst...

Comment

Originally posted by Roger OD View Post
      The saga coninues. I removed the cover containing the photo eye safety switch to insure it was clean and to try to test the transformer. I then turned on the burner but the blower never started and I didn't get to test the transformer as there was no power to them, must be too much light on the photo cell??. I reattached the cover and the burner fired right up (life is good). 2 hours ago the blower would run but the burner would NOT fire, all I did was take the cover off and put it back on? I didn't 'fix' anything so I know this will haunt me another day!!! The good news is it's supposed to be in the 50's for the next few days and I also have a wood stove so it will be uncomfortable at worst...
      A lot of times if a unit gets serviced it will fix the problem. So i would change the oil filter, Take the guts out of the burner, clean out everything, install new nozzle, bled lines. Check all electric trodes and wires. While you have the transformer open, take one wire off the burner motor, take photo out clean it and put a piece of tape over it so its dark. take two plastic handed screw drivers, lay the metal part of the screw drivers on the two transformer post, leaving the ends about 1" apart. Have the furnace calling for heat. Start bring the ends of the screw drivers together, by the time the get about 3/8" apart you should get a spark across the ends Now start taking them apart and you should keep the spark going until the are at least 3/4" apart.
      BE VERY CAR FULL, you are working with 10,000 volts.
      Do you have a book that tells you what nozzle to use and how to adjust your electrodes?. Now you can put your burner back together.. If you don't think you can do all this than you would need to call a service man.

Comment

out again

Thanks Paul, I cleaned and replaced nozzle and filter mid Dec so 'in theory' they should be good. I never adjusted the electrodes (they're about 1/4-3/8 inches apart) and it's been working find since Dec so I don't think spacing is the issue. Yesterday I took the guts out of the burner, clean out everything, cleaned nozzle with carburator cleaner, bled lines. I think it's getting fuel as it smokes a bit when it does fire up after I hit the reset.
        I received fuel on Mar 9th and the problem started on the 12th, was out again on the 13th then was fine for a couple of days then started again yesterday, maybe it is fuel?
        The reset had kicked out again this morning, I pressed the reset and the furnace fired right up?? The furnace just cycled and it tripped the reset again. Intermittent problems are hard to find.
        Fuel filter and check the transformer (new three or four years ago) next. The good thing is this didn't happen mid Jan...

Comment

Originally posted by Roger OD View Post
          Thanks Paul, I cleaned and replaced nozzle and filter mid Dec so 'in theory' they should be good. I never adjusted the electrodes (they're about 1/4-3/8 inches apart) and it's been working find since Dec so I don't think spacing is the issue. Yesterday I took the guts out of the burner, clean out everything, cleaned nozzle with carburator cleaner, bled lines. I think it's getting fuel as it smokes a bit when it does fire up after I hit the reset.
          I received fuel on Mar 9th and the problem started on the 12th, was out again on the 13th then was fine for a couple of days then started again yesterday, maybe it is fuel?
          The reset had kicked out again this morning, I pressed the reset and the furnace fired right up?? The furnace just cycled and it tripped the reset again. Intermittent problems are hard to find.
          Fuel filter and check the transformer (new three or four years ago) next. The good thing is this didn't happen mid Jan...
          If your electrodes are 3/8" apart and transformer is a little weak than you could have this problem. It is very important to have those electrodes be adjusted right. There are 3 different measurements and they need to be done right, and they are different depending on what nozzle you are using. So if you are going to work on the oil burner yourself, then you need to check on this. Also do not try to clean out a nozzle, put a new one in. If your nozzle has a stone filter on it and you touch that filter with your finger, the oil on your finger will plug it up. Did you take the electrodes out to see if they have any hair line cracks in them? Paul

Comment

I agree with paul your electrodes sound to be set wrong. Also the number you gave R8182D is a aquastat not a primery control. If you are having to reset the Primary Control on the burner gun assebly it could be from a weak transformer and poor electrode spacing or since it is intermitent i would check fuel filters for water and electrical conections for tightness some times when working on the gun assembly i have seen wire nuts work lose and cause intermitant operation.

Comment

think it's fixed

Thanks for the help. This one had me puzzled as there isn't much there - transformer and electrodes.
              I pulled the gun out again, checked everything again, electrode spacing and insulators for cracks, fuel (plenty). Everything seemed fine.
              If the transformer voltage would intermittently jump through an air gap I figured it would blast through any junk or corrosion that was on the electrodes, apparently I was wrong.
              I believe the fix was cleaning the connections between the transformer and the electordes. I used emery cloth to clean the electrodes and a wire brush to clean the transformer connections, I also used contact cleaner for both and it's been running fine since Sat night.
              Again thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =