Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freon Upgrade ??

My daughter has 2 Tempstar units that cool a 2 story. Both units need servicing. I noticed that the label on the unit states R22. Can R22 refrigerant still be obtained? If not what are the choices?

Thanks
    jrh

There are no choices. R-22 was engineered into the units. An epa rated tech can still get flouro hydro carbon refrigerants but its very expensive.

Comment

and yes R 22 is still available for purchase as well. just not nearly as cheap as it used to be.

Comment

do you know if they are they are leaking ? they may just need to be cleaned

Comment

what needs to be cleaned? the units themselves? if the a/c units themselves are leaking freon and all freon is gone, chances are that the systems have absorbed moisture through the leaking area. I don't know if its possible but they're usually filled with dry nitrogen after the leaks have been fixed and left to sit for 24 hours, then hitched up to a vacuum pump and a vacuum is drawn on the system for another 24 hrs. the pump is shut off and the gauge is monitored for 24 hours. if there is no more leaks then the gauge reading will not move. we're talking minus 15 lbs of vacuum. then you can recharge the system with r-22 with a charging cylinder and moisture free mineral oil.

Comment

Mr Fitz, the OP sad the units needed servicing and questioned if R-22 or R-12 is available. This is what led me to believe they were talking about topping off the system because of leaks. Yes I agree clean out the inside and look closely at the brazed joints. If there is a tap a valve installed in the high and low side piping this normally leaks if the gaskets become dried out.

Comment

Mr Fitz - when I worked for Western Mass Electric Company at Northfield they had a 6 and a 3 ton air conditioner installed in the underground powerhouse. Their "tech" moved up in the ranks so there wasn't anybody to service the equipment. I was very interested in doing this sort of work so I took two courses back to back at a local technical college after work. We had to build a working refrigerator from scratch using tubing and parts including R-22, R-12, R-502 refrigerants. After I got certified I did work on people's window a/c units. I brazed access valves to the units, vacuumed out units and re-charged them. I also maintained air conditioners in apartment buildings in the area with outside condensers. In the powerhouse I recovered all the refrigerant in the 6 ton unit, replaced the dryer, replace six valves in the head, changed out the crankcase heater and repaired the water type heat exchanger. what would you like to know about TRANE or COPELAND compressors?
              I also learned how to make sheet metal ducting with a brake. I learned how to make a pittsburgh joint in trunk lines and square to round, square to rectangular transition fittings out of flat sheet metal.
              Last edited by HayZee518; 07-06-2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =