Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Timer switch

The fan on our heater won't shut off so I'm assuming I need to replace the switch. Is this something a greenhorn can do easily or should I get help.

Sorry about the pink filter on the photo

shouldn't be too much of a problem. the back part of the switch contains a helix wound element welded to a center rod that is connected to a disk that rotates and closes/opens a set of contacts. as the plenum temperature goes up the helix expands and rotates the disk.

Comment

Just to clarify, the furnace heat and the fan are in the off position at the thermostat in the house but the furnace fan (in the garage) continues to run. The timer switch pictured in my post is how you tell the fan when to run in auto throughout the day (1 hour a day for 30 min, for example). Ours won't shut off unless we turn it off at the breaker so I'm assuming its the switch pictured. Its one of those plastic rotary dial type switches that you push the pins up or down where you want to to turn on and off throughout a 24 hr day.

Do I need to replace the rotary switch, the box, etc?

Comment

Heater service

Finally turning this one over to the pros. I have no idea what to look for in an annual heater service, parts and repairs. Just thought I'd ask around here. Local company is coming out to perform an annual diag for $99.00 which will be waived if they perform the repairs or annual tune up. Tune up is $128.00 Seems reasonable to me. What should be included in a tune up?

Comment

FYI, it was a toggle switch on the back side of the timer switch box. Man I hate when that happens! Must of been bumped by the crap we store next to the furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by mooremljeff View Post
            The fan on our heater won't shut off so I'm assuming I need to replace the switch. Is this something a greenhorn can do easily or should I get help.

Sorry about the pink filter on the photo
            Is this on a furnace? Why a timer switch? Does it have another fan switch?
            Most blower fans come on with a bi metal switch or the newer one with a electronic board. I have never seen a furnace with just a timer switch.
            Need more info, or pictures. paulm989@hotmail.com Paul

Comment

The timer is on the outside of the furnace. It controls when and the length of time that the autofan circulates air during the day.

I was fooled because I turned the fan Off at the thermostat but it kept running. I then attempted to play with the circular dial switch (reference 1st post) to get it to turn off but no configuration (of those plastic tabs) would turn the unit off until the toggle switch was found on the back side of the box. The toggel switch must override the thermostat and the circular dial.

Once if flipped the toggle switch the unit began to work as it has for the lat 10 years.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =