Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to heat a bathroom

What are some good ways to heat a bathroom..there is no heating ducts going in there. I thought about those electric heaters, the so called ones they call bathroom heaters. But somehow I see water and electricity not playing well together. Besides they seem a tad pricey for what they do, not to mention I have not seen many get good revues. Would just perhaps a low vent panel (to maintain privacy) on the bathroom entry door be good enough to get some heat in there?

Either run a duct to the bathroom or add a baseboard heater. It would be much cheaper in the long run, also remember unheated/cooled rooms cannot be counted as home square footage, so should you wish to sell the bathroom not only doesn't get counted in the square footage of the home but technically it doesn't count as a bathroom either.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks pushkin..problem is there is no ductwork in the house at all..its all basebard type.. wouldnt a baseboard heater in a bathroom be a bit dangerous considering factors such as steam, splashing water, wet hands, etc? The bathroom is rather small also, so not many good places to stick one.

Comment

a fan forced wall heater might suit you better. it can be installed in a wall mounted case or in a wall case that fits between standard stud spacing. unless your heater is gonna be submerged in water, I wouldn't worry about splashed water. firstly the motor is a fractional horsepower that doesn't have exposed brushes [which would be a hazard] connections are all wire nutted together. the distance between the heater element and the steel case is far enough away that there isn't an arcing problem. the heater has a grill that hides all wiring connections. it can operate on 240 or 120 volts.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I think the fan forced idea will be my best bet

Comment

You've also got the option of radiant floor heating. This system will heat your bathroom from the floor up utilizing your existing water source.
            A fool-proof furnace repair manual...

Comment

larry, while that is true to a point, unless the hot water system is a loop type system, then your idea won't work unless someone is drawing on the hot water tap. shut it off and the flow stops and so, the heating.

Comment

That is correct HayZee. But even though there are a lot other things to take into consideration before a radiant floor heating system can work it's still another option that could possibly be explored.
                A fool-proof furnace repair manual...

Comment

yeah, but I think you are opening up a can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryHome View Post
                    You've also got the option of radiant floor heating. This system will heat your bathroom from the floor up utilizing your existing water source.
                    I agree about opening up a can of worms hahaha! but I think that's a pretty cool idea
                    if you could utilize all the hot, soapy water that's
                    draining into the sewer from taking a shower.
                    Wouldn't it be neat to step out of the shower onto a nice warm floor while you dry yourself off?
                    The only problem would be getting the water to drain through
                    the pipes fast enough so you don't flood the shower and bathroom! lol
                    Last edited by Stayouttadabunker; 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

that would never work - hair and scum gets drained into the waste lines. Mark, stick to the original plan.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                        that would never work - hair and scum gets drained into the waste lines. Mark, stick to the original plan.
                        Eww! That sounds horrible! Hahaha!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =