Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmwood sensor....

Working on an old, CleanBurn waste oil furnace. I found this sensor does not have continuity, so I suspect it is no good. But how do I tell? I don't know if it's normally open or normally closed....the info on it is:
    Elmwood 3004-5-8 L220 81/47
    I did look up Elmwood anything and did not find what I need. Does the L220 mean that's it's heat limit? What might the 81/47 mean?

Yes, it a limit switch that should open and shut off the burners at 220F.

Comment

Limit sensor....

Thanks, Seattle Pioneer. That confirms my suspicion. But that leaves me with another question. How can I tell if it's normally open or normally closed? Also, are sensors like this used to control on/off situations? That is, to keep the item it's protecting from going past the temperature cutoff? In other words....how many cycles is a typical sensor good for?

Comment

Limit switches are normally closed and open upon reaching the rated temperature. Some may be manual reset that remain closed until a button is pushed, otherwise they reset when the temperature declines twenty degrees or so below the rated maximum. They will typically cycle on and off as rated indefinitely.

Comment

Sensor....

As I suspected, SeatllePioneer. Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =