Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat strips

Hi All, I have a Rheem model RXQJ-A15J unit. I am having problems with my heat strips staying on when the unit is not running. Can anyone give me a place to start troubleshooting? I am an electrician by trade but know little about HVAC.

I don't understand your statement "heat strips staying on when unit is NOT running." Aren't they normally off when the unit is not running? Auxillary heat in a heat pump system is a electric bank of elements that turn on and off with an increase in demand or less of a demand for heat. This is accomplished by a heat sequencer that operates off the thermostat. More heat needed more elements turn on until the max is reached.

Comment

Originally posted by Big BZKT View Post
      Hi All, I have a Rheem model RXQJ-A15J unit. I am having problems with my heat strips staying on when the unit is not running. Can anyone give me a place to start troubleshooting? I am an electrician by trade but know little about HVAC.
      Is this a electric furnace? If your stat is not calling for heat and the heat strips stay on then you have a heat relay sticking. Paul

Comment

This unit is a package heat pump everything is outside. the strips are for aux/emergency heat. They are staying on even after turning off the tstat. I have a little over 20 amps on both legs of the line side power. There is a lot of heat coming up the first vent inside. All of your help is appreciated!

Comment

then check #1 sequencer. the operating coil may have burnt closed.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =