Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im in trouble! Gotta big leak. Help if you can.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im in trouble! Gotta big leak. Help if you can.

Well I was installing a car CD player for a friend yesterday when I heard a loud sound. I was completely on the other side of the house so I got out and followed the noise. I followed all the way to the outside A/C unit. The noise sounded just like as if you unscrewed the valve stem out of a tire full of air. It was that loud, I knew it was the freon/refrigerant coming out so I was already mad. I tried to take it apart to feel for the leak but I wasnt fast enough, it was all leaked out by the time I got in there. It sounded like it came from the condensor coil area, most of that is hidden. This must be a big leak though.

It had been working fine and I know it was just turned on for the first time that day, my wife just turned it on. I depressed both shrader valves in and theres no pressure left, nothing.

The unit is an energy efficient Carrier. Doesnt look too old. Model number is 38BYCO36348. Any common places I can check? It seems like something came completely apart or unscrewed. Im gonna take a big hit if I have to spend 2 or $3,000 dollars for a new unit.

Ive fixed this unit atleast once every year from the start capacitor to the contactors but this is a bigger job so I need to ask advice first. Thanks guys!

If your unit has a low limit or a high pressure limit, these are usually fed off the compressor line with a screw in gland nut. It could've loosened to the point of exhausting all freon inside the unit and allowed moisture laden air to get inside. If you are EPA certified, go ahead and do the repair, but if you aren't, don't touch it! Freon, new or off the black market is EXPENSIVE! There may be an inline filter drier too that could have come loose.

Comment

Thanks buddy!

Comment

Found the problem

Comment

Compressor blew a ternimal. This isnt repairable is it?? I have to buy the whole compressor dont I? Did the contactor cause this? That black wire is going to a contactor. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

No, the contactor couldn't have cause that. The contactor is just a switch. The terminal was loose probably because the compressor shakes when it operates. It probably loosened up enough to arc at the terminal which made a high resistance and melted the terminal. The sound you heard was in fact the freon escaping around the terminal. The compressor of this type is hermetically sealed, so, yes, a new compresor is in store plus the freon charge after a thorough vacuuming out.

Comment

little late but that is called terminal venting

Comment

can also be caused by compressor shorting to ground internally

Comment

The compressor will be under manufacturer warranty if installed less than 5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =