Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC cuts off after half hour, requires heat turned on to get AC to turn on

Okay, the AC or furnace might be about to call it quits, or it just might be a small issue (my hope). I think it might be a furnace blower issue, but I'm not sure.

So I noticed it was getting warmer, but my furnace was still running. I go outside, see the AC isn't running. I turn the furnace off and on, nothing happens. I change furnace to heat, and get that going for a few moments, then I switch it back to cool and the AC kicks on. I have had to do this twice, and both times this has made the AC come back on. So would this most likely be a furnace issue, like the blower?

Any suggestions on what I might be able to look at and attempt before I call someone to look at my system?

UPDATE So far it has been running for 2 straight hours no issues. Somone suggested that it might be a circuit issue.

"
    Its definately not the blower. However, I do suspect the problem is in your furnace. The circuit board may be malfunctioning. instead of going to heat, next time go to the furnace, turn it off, wait 3 minutes, then turn it back on. I suspect you are losing 24volts when the ac goes off. And that 24 volts comes right from Y and C on the circuit board in the furnace. I suspect C to be the problem. Dont ask why. But if you have a way to check voltage, check it.

"
    Last edited by ACardAttack; 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM. Reason: Update

Hmmmm....

if you could post the ladder diagram on here, we could see what is supposed to run and when. even a one line diagram would work. point to point wiring won't - gets too confusing.
    with a diagram, relays or temperature devices are shown.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      if you could post the ladder diagram on here, we could see what is supposed to run and when. even a one line diagram would work. point to point wiring won't - gets too confusing.
      with a diagram, relays or temperature devices are shown.
      I'll have to look for the diagram. Funny enough though, the system has been working fine for well over 12 hours now. It has shut off and on with no issues...I'm going to keep an eye on.

Comment

A/C problems

Well, yeah, I see your point, but a mechanical relay is "mechanical" it uses electric to energize a coil which switches a set of contacts. contacts don't last indefinitely. thermostats may have a set of contacts too. most honeywell's have a mercury tube. does anything in the control box emit a loud buzz?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =