Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No heat

I have already concluded the answer to my issue but I am no expert and I want a second opinion because I do not agree with the answer the repair guy gave me. I have a amada package unit heat pump. I noticed my heat bill reaching $700 dollars in january and decided something was wrong with it. But my bill was about $150 in the dead of summer in Virginia. So, first of all I have about 53 degrees at the vents with the AC on in the middle of July...pretty dang good. However when I turned the heat strips off I only have about 60 degrees at the vents again in the middle of July. I also noticed that when I turn the thermostat from AC to heat you can hear the compressor kicking on and turning back off. It does this cycle about 4 times and then the emergency heat kicks on. Therefore I was heating my house all winter with heat strips. Any thoughts??

heat, no heat

I'd like to know the answer the tech gave you.
    Is the air conditioning unit reversible as to provide heat?
    Are the heat strips used as a primary heat system or a backup?
    Do the heat strips turn on by means of a sequencer?

Comment

No heat

Thanks for responding, sorry for the delayed response, i'm in afghanistan lol. The tech said the whole unit needed to be replaced. The unit does reverse and provide heat. The heat strips are used to provide heat for the 2-3 minute period during which the coils are defrosting on cold nights. They can also be used for back up heat but defintely not primary heat. I'm not exactly sure what a sequencer is.
      My theory is the reversing valve or mechinism is bad. Refridgerant flows in one direction but not the other. When the air conditioner is on the refredgerant flows through the compressor correctly and provides cold air at the vents, but when we turn the heat on the compressor tries to turn on but shuts down immediately because it's not getting the refridgerant/oil needed. after a couple times of it turning on and off it shuts down completely and kicks the heat strips on for back up heat.

Comment

reversing valve

then I would look to the reversing valve. it operates at 24 volts. there was one guy in here a while ago that found a short in a wire in the valve that kept on burning out his control transformer.

Comment

sequencer

a heat sequencer is a relay, one connected to each heat strip and operates off the thermostat and 24 volts. if you turn the thermostat way up, it starts to heat one stage, then after a time delay, kicks in the 2nd sequencer, and so on until all elements are on. then as heat is not needed [approaching the set point] it removes elements one at a time

Comment

heres your pro answer

sounds like a bad reversing valve in the heat pump. You'll need to call a technician! I wouldnt recommend doing it yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =