Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will check to see if there is a vent damper, but I am quite sure there isn't. Is that something that can be added later if needed?

I don't think I would have issues either, it just makes you worry when you hear that it is possible.

I guess I will find out in a few weeks when this is all done. If there are flue gases coming back in, is that something that a carbon monoxide detector will pick up, or at least that we would smell?

Comment

heater

carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless. you wouldn't even know it was there until too late.
      a gas water heater has a bonnet that fastens to the top of the heater, a flue pipe goes on top of this out to your chimney or vent. your original is 6 inch so finding a reducer isn't a problem.

Comment

Thats why I was asking if the gases or vapors that might make their way back into the house would be detected by the carbon monoxide detector we have, or if that is something else completly. I just want to know how to recognize if something isnt venting right.

Also, the vent comes off the water tank at a 4" and ties into the main 6" stack going to the roof. I think if I just cap the takeoff going to the old furnace and leave it as is, it should be fine right?

Comment

gases to vent

if your chimney or vent is of sufficient height to provide a natural draft then I wouldn't worry about the burnt combustion products.
          I will say that a chimney sharing a fireplace and an oil burner into a common stack is not permitted. In this case a seperate flue is installed when the chimney is built. one for the fireplace and one for the oil burner.
          natural gas doesn't put out THAT much CO gas.
          If you have a gas range in your kitchen, you don't have a flue for that, yet it's perfectly safe.

Comment

i guess if you really wanted help you could have sent the video link so we we can get an idea of what it is you are referring to. do you still have the origional damper issue or are we so far beyond that it doesnt matter now ?

Comment

I have sent a link of the video to you dfitz3390.

I now am more interested in solving the new potential issues, mainly being the potential for flue gases not being vented properly up the potentially oversized vent. I think besides that one, and all the work involved to install the new furnace, it should all be taken care of I hope.

On a side note, should the old Lennox G20 be on its way for scrap, or does anyone still find value in these, either to repair and use, or use for parts?

Comment

Furnace Damper Issues

I doubt that it's electrical or other problems would present themselves. Whisper Heat also has a spring in the Damper mechanism that ALWAYS fails over time. I would check that first.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =