Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingntor sprarks but there no gas

My mother inlaw has a American Standard Inc single package gas/ electric unit. The combustion blower start and ignitor sparks but no
    flame. I need help in to determine if its a gas valve or some sensor. Any help would great. Thanks

furnace

Is there a pilot light that must be lit before the main valve opens?

Comment

no pilot light there is a ignitor that sparks between two probes. It does spark after the combustion fan runs for a minute or two. How does one check to see if the gas valve is working correctly?

Comment

It sounds like a mother board has burnt out the thermostat is calling for heat and the draft inducer fan kicks on and the igniter trys to light but no fuel is present the board is not opening the gas valve. How old id the unit? The newer units have an led that will flash a code to troubleshoot by. One flash= one thing two flashes is another thing and so on the newer units will even shut down if the filter gets too dirty. If it has the diganostic led check it then go on line and look up that furnace for the code. If you have access to the manual read it and the trouble shooting section.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan the American Standard unit is 20 years old. There is a flashing led and manual say the two flashes is system lock out [no flame]. So if its likely the circuit broad I will check on the availability. I'm just trying to help her out because like so many older people inflation has taken most of her retirement. Thanks again Dan if you or anyone else think of anything please post.

Comment

Originally posted by Riolenny View Post
            Thanks Dan the American Standard unit is 20 years old. There is a flashing led and manual say the two flashes is system lock out [no flame]. So if its likely the circuit broad I will check on the availability. I'm just trying to help her out because like so many older people inflation has taken most of her retirement. Thanks again Dan if you or anyone else think of anything please post.
            the system will do a lockout after several trys to ignite without results. I dont know if you will be able to purchase from a wholesale dealer without a hvac license but worth a try. Also you may get a service tec to run a diagnostic on the board to be positive that is it. Explain to the company when you call about being an elderly fixed income person and see if they offer senior discounts. I offer discounts on my handyman service and sign business for people over 60.

Dan

Comment

Dan

If you are in this forum to make a profit, DON'T! EVEN TRY!
              This is and will always be a free forum designed to help people.
              Referrals to companies that sell parts is ok, just don't pocket the money yourself.
              Along those lines, here is a source for gas valves.

HVAC Parts & Supplies at HVAC Parts Outlet

Comment

To hay seed 518 I did not solicit any copensation I just offered advice to the op I thought that was the pourpse of the forum. Where did you get the idea I was trying to make a profit? Gee guy get a life
                Last edited by Mabscotthandyman; 12-27-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

to: Mabscotthandyman

backtrack two posts and give a look.

I quote: " I offer discounts on my handyman service and sign business for people over 60." end quote.

If this isn't for profit, then what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                    backtrack two posts and give a look.

I quote: " I offer discounts on my handyman service and sign business for people over 60." end quote.

If this isn't for profit, then what is it?
                    Jesus I am in West Virginia the poster is in California long drive to check out a furnace. I was telling the op to check with their Local hvac contractor to see if they offer senior discounts as I do with my Handyman service and sign company to run a diganostic check on the circut board to see if that was the actual problem to save buying parts not needed.

you may have missread the post or just interpeted it as you wanted either way I was just trying to offer some advice from my 50plus years of experince in the construction trade

I just reread the post you quoted the post read ( explain to the company when you call them about being elderly and on a fixed income)

Dan

I just reread my post you quoted it read
                    Last edited by Mabscotthandyman; 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

experience

well I congratulate you on your experience. I too am a tradesperson of over 40 years as a master electrician.
                      I specialize in industrial and residential wiring.
                      I have been with this forum since 2004.

Comment

I just read your profile and see the many thanks from people you have helped so maybe I jumped a little fast too. I am a licensend general contractor, master electrican, licensend plumber all the other trades was to be compliant to the state and local code offices my main trade has always been the construction but over the years I had to do it all because of sub issues so I took classes and got licensend in all the trades but we had always didd the complete home back when I first started. I started a sign company later after the sign company I did installs screwed me over so I opened a sign company to directly compete with him .

Dan

Comment

electrical helps

I stuck with a guy for over a week and a half troubleshooting a wiring problem he had with a counter outlet, disposal and dishwasher all combined into one problem. found out the guy that owned the house before him wired one outlet in series, not parallel. so anything plugged into that outlet would energize the rest of the circuit downstream of it through the resistance of the device(s)
                          also found a bad neutral in the wiring.
                          maybe I jumped the gun too. I apologize.
                          A man with all your skills will be a boon to the forum.
                          I have a vast knowledge of anything mechanical. I've worked in textiles, paper, metal working machines, pneumatic logic circuits on machinery, printing presses, german and holland made paper machinery.
                          I worked for buffalo china on china manufacturing machinery and I got over 20 years in hydro-electric production at a run of the river power plants and a pumped storage plant in Massachusetts.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                            I stuck with a guy for over a week and a half troubleshooting a wiring problem he had with a counter outlet, disposal and dishwasher all combined into one problem. found out the guy that owned the house before him wired one outlet in series, not parallel. so anything plugged into that outlet would energize the rest of the circuit downstream of it through the resistance of the device(s)
                            also found a bad neutral in the wiring.
                            maybe I jumped the gun too. I apologize.
                            A man with all your skills will be a boon to the forum.
                            I have a vast knowledge of anything mechanical. I've worked in textiles, paper, metal working machines, pneumatic logic circuits on machinery, printing presses, german and holland made paper machinery.
                            I worked for buffalo china on china manufacturing machinery and I got over 20 years in hydro-electric production at a run of the river power plants and a pumped storage plant in Massachusetts.
                            Thank you sir.. Like I said my real passion is carpentry, wood working and cabinet building as I have got older some of the things I use to do is harder now that is the reason for the handyman service... Less employees and less headaches I am not ready to retire yet so I will see what my body says in a few years. I started in construction when I was 14 and have worked in one form or another my whole life I had adesire to learn and have mastered most all the trades.

Dan

Comment

Ok the furnace is fix it was the circuit broad and Dan was correct I needed a contractor to buy the parts.
                              Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =