Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside wood burner

New project we just started. Had an outside woodburner furnace delivered a few days ago. Will hopefully hook it up by the end of the month. Existing system is propane fired hot water baseboard for a two story home. The pro pain was gettin' too expensive (350/month!!) Gettin' anxious to be able to have some have some real heat here this winter!

You can go to www.warmair.net and compare fuel cost for where you are. Hot water holds the heat very well.

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

Good Luck! I hear them furnaces are real nice! I had to hitch up some wired to one of them in New England. Pretty straight forward. Low heat cutoff, circulator pump, aux blower, flow switch. I was thinking on making one when I was in New England but would use regular silica sand to fill the voids between the pipes in the heat exchanger section around the firebox. The heat would heat the sand and pipes that are circulating the water. When the heat died down the sand would keep on giving up heat until the fire was brought up.

Comment

There is a variety of outside wook burning furnaces here in Ohio that uses no electricity. It is being used quite extensively in and around the AMISH communities. I have talked to a couple people who have them and they say they work very well, personally I am not into chopping wood that much. I grew up with a hand fired coal furnace and I dont miss running to the basement to tend the fire every hour.

Comment

How old are ya', LazyPup? I thought I was the senior here. I remember those days well, too, along with lighting the coils for the water heater! Talk about an improvement in quality of life! And to sprinkle the ashes on the ice 'stead of salt, too! And the clinkers. Yeah. What did we end up doing with those rocks, anyway? Well, there's so much dead wood around here (there's an opportunity!) that it's all a good candidate for that burner. I can take care of a few situations at the same time.
          Thanks, Hayzee and imeduc. I'm sure it'll be a bit of a chore, but the claim is they go for at least every other day. I'm looking forward to this winter.

Comment

I can remember getting a dime to haul peoples ashes out of the basement, hauling a box on a snow sled and selling it to a motorist for a nickle so he could get his car up an icy hill.
            I can remember listening to Gunsmoke on the radio and waiting three months for it to come on TV.
            When Hula hoops was a new idea.
            When digital clocks had numbers on little cards that flipped down.
            When baseball trading cards came five in a pack with a piece of bubble gum for a nickle...coke was a nickle at the soda fountain.
            $.23 cent a pack for cigarettes,,,,,,$.25 for a 1/4 pound Baby Ruth bar, and $.35 cents to get in the movies.
            minimum wage $1.90
            When it took a half hour to pick out $.25 cents worth of candy, and a sack to carry it all.
            When John Glenn made the first orbital flight out entire school crowded into the auditorium to watch it on a 15 inch B &W TV on the stage.
            I can remember when Elvis appeared on TV they was only allowed to show his face cause he wiggled his hips to provacatively.........heheheheh

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

I can remember getting a dime to haul peoples ashes out of the basement, hauling a box on a snow sled and selling it to a motorist for a nickle so he could get his car up an icy hill.
              I can remember listening to Gunsmoke on the radio and waiting three months for it to come on TV.
              When Hula hoops was a new idea.
              When digital clocks had numbers on little cards that flipped down.
              When baseball trading cards came five in a pack with a piece of bubble gum for a nickle.(we put the Roger Marris rookie cards on the fender of a bicycle to rub the spokes and sound like a motor)
              Coke was a nickle at the soda fountain.
              $.23 cent a pack for cigarettes,,,,,,$.25 for a 1/4 pound Baby Ruth bar, and $.35 cents to get in the movies.
              minimum wage $1.90
              When it took a half hour to pick out $.25 cents worth of candy, and a sack to carry it all.
              When John Glenn made the first orbital flight out entire school crowded into the auditorium to watch it on a 15 inch B &W TV on the stage.
              I can remember when Elvis appeared on TV they was only allowed to show his face cause he wiggled his hips to provacatively.........heheheheh

Comment

MrCaptBob - I think lazypup and I are the same age - however I too remember the good ol times. Howdy-Doody was the only TV show on, yah, light the flame inside of the water heater, hope it didn't blow up! Guy coming up the street with loads of ice, bulk delivery of coal through the basement window, siphon hose to drain your "new" maytag! Yer not the ONLY old timer on the block! Yuk Yuk!

Comment

Maybe we should start a thread to see who else might know who Phineas T. Fillibbuster or Flub-adub was....hheheheheheh.

Actually my alltime favorite TV character was the Froggie on Buster Brown.

Remember when:
                  we didnt want to wear a pair of jeans cause they had a hole in them?

When you weren't properly dressed for school until you had your bank bag full of marbles tied to a belt loop?

When we had air raid drills in grade school, sit down, head between your knees and hands behind your head?

How about buying U.S.Savings bond stamps at school for a dime, pasting them in a book and when the book was full you traded it in for a $25 savings bond?

Remember when your word processor had an eraser on the end?

Comment

TV whats that it wasnt out yet. Furnace Whats that ,I had to fire a stove in the room.carry the coal and wood in then the ashes out. Then we did get a oil potburner stove man that was living high on the hog.

ED Your just as old as you feel.

Comment

Back in the late 60's I was in the Air Force stationed at a fairly remote base in Germany. I was a warehouseman assigned to a large open storage facility and we had a small 15 x 15 wooden shack for an office. In the very center of that shack was the crudest excuse for an oil burner I have ever seen, and one i certainly would never trust in any structure i owned. In fact, I still don't know how it got past the base firemarshalls inspection.

It looked like a standard stubby iron pot bellied stove about 20 inches high and 24 inches in diameter with an old fashioned lift up cover and a 3inch flue up through the ceiling. What i found intrigueing was the burner.

right outside the wall of the shack was a 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel on a rack. The smaller bung hole had a fitting on it to attach a 3/8 copper line. The line ran under the wood floor and up behind the burner. A simple right angle stop valve and another lenght of tubing into the base of the stove.

The tube was laid on the bottom of the metal firebox pan and cut off about 4 to 6 inches inside the burner wall. Over that was a 4 inch layer of common sand.

The oil ran down the line by gravity flow, entered the burner and continually dripped oil under the sand, which kept the sand saturated with oil. To light the stove you opened the valve, waited till you could see a wet spot and dropped a flaming piece of paper in. Poooof,,it would flame up for a moment, then seemed to just burn rather even right above the sand.

The old German civillian who worked with us said that during WW II those stoves were originated by the German Army in North Africa and became common everywhere.

I never really trusted it, but it worked fine for the 4 years i was there.

Comment

LazyPup - What you described is just how my Monitor heater works. Outside is a barrel of kerosine. 3/8" tubing feeds the oil by gravity to a pump chamber with a small ballcock. An AC solenoid pump operates and pumps kerosine to a flat wick in the combustion chamber pot. A red hot ignition heater lights and ignites the kero. Then the kero just burns. A fan forced stream of air is fed into the chamber and the kero turns blue. Computers monitor the flame and temperature of the pot. no flame and the unit locks out.
                        Frankly I never could stand that frog. John Bosco Chocolate mix was the sponsor. Andy Devine was the performer- "Do you remember?" La LA LA!

Comment

Ahhhhh... the gravity feed stoves! What a welcome beast they were! That's what kept us warm on those cold Korean winter nights! A 5G Jerrie can sittin' next to it and everyone taking turns to keep it filled ans woe to the one who slpet through his turn! And when that stove pipe filled with carbon! Wow! Did we all move! At home, in my younger days, we had a dinko wood burner stove in the kitchen for heat. It had two round plates on top to open to throw a few pieces in. There was a register in the kitchen ceiling that vented through the bathroom floor to let the heat up there. We too, had an oil burner, actually a large space heater, in the dining room. There was a 55G drum out in the 'garage' with a pump on it. Mom would go back there and pump that handle a few times to get a buckets worth and carry it back to the house and fill the stove's holding tank. Ah.what great memories!! ? Oh yeah...and the garage was on the alley. And once a week the 'sheenie' man would come down that alley on his horsedrawn buckboard lookin' for useable scrap.....

Comment

BTW, HaZee, how did yoou fair with the fuel gage?

Comment

I found a couple o sources in texas and down south - one guy has a unit for $50 includes shipping and another one for $110. Got to wait fer my welfare check then I gonna buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =