Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Pump Condensers?

If there is already a link on the site to this I appoligize and hope someone will link it for me so as not to waste time

My question is this: We have a Ruud 2.5 ton 10 Seer unit. The upstairs part is working fine but the outside unit bit the dust and needs to be replaced. Do we have to get another Ruud or will other brands interchange with our Ruud? And does it need to be another 10 seer or can we go with a 12 seer?

Thanks!

Kildy

For the most part condensing units are interchangable although i dont think you would gain any major efficiency by going to a high seer rating.

Comment

You dont say where you are ,are how much do you run that AC there. If you have a long run or say a long summer where you are then it pays to get a higher SEER. They have them on up to 19.50 seer. You would match the coil and outdoor unit.
      Think about how long it runs and how long you will stay in this home for a return. get 3 bids on the job.

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

OH we live in Eastern NC and the AC runs from about april till October lol. I had heard it would be more efficient for us to go with a higher Seer. The next question is should we hire someone to install the outside unit or can we do this ourselves. (hubby is pretty much a jack of all trades and I can't think of anything he hasnt been able to accomplish) The reason i'm asking is this. The Ruud unit is 10 years old, But a friend who used to do AC/heating told us the upstairs was in very good condition and the cpl of businesses we have had out pretty much have told us they won't just replace the outside unit only a complete system which we have been told doesnt need to be done...so i'm a bit mistified...and frankly not sure what do to. We will be in this house for a long time to come btw.

Comment

Yes you do have to put in a new indoor and outdoor unit they have to match.For where you are Id say a 14 to 16 seer will work fine. Hubby can help but you have to be EPA to work on the freon end of the AC and have all the tools to pump it down and recover old freon.

ED

Comment

Thanks for all the information! I'm so glad i found this site. Ya'll are great!

Kildy

Comment

Working...
            X
            =