Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Florida HVAC Guidance

We're building a home in Orlando and the builder std equip is a Carrier heatpumps, 12 SEER - 2 ton for upstairs (950 sf) and 5 ton for downstairs (2900 sf)....both non prog thermostats, fixed speed air handlers. The hvac sub-contractor is recommending upgrades to Puron systems suggesting the potential cost of R22 in future...but the upgrade systems he recommends are 13 and 13.5 SEER respectively. These come with variable speed air handlers and Thermidistats. For a hefty upchage, suggests a two speed Puron unit with 17 SEER. Questions: 1) How legitimate is the Puron pitch. I don't see many independent experts suggesting it should be a major cost issue to stick with R22. 2) Should we consider any system with a Thermidistat or equivalent in Orlando? 3) Should I be worried that the quote I got didn't involve asking whether I was installing solar board? 4) Is membership in ACCA a reasonable measure of expertise 5) Should all new ductwork be sealed...or should I ask for a quote to do so? 6) Should we consider any system without a variable speed air handler 7) How significant is a two speed system to addressing moisture issues 8) Is there any way to integrate a two system house in order to have an oversized cooling capacity (for when you want it) but a way of not suffering moisture issues from short cycling. Maybe J Method for sizing the primary system....but a way to kick the second system into cooling the same area (the downstairs) when we need a capacity boost? It sounds only logical to me but I haven't heard of such things.

There currently are international treaty regulations that seriously effect the production and distribution of CFC's or Flourocarbon refrigerants. R-12 has already been taken out of production and the only sources of R-12 are recovery or those limited stocks that still remain.

R-22, the most commonly used refrigerant in air conditioning is also on the hit list to cease further production, With that in mind it would be a very wise choice to select a system using enviromentally friendly refrigerants such as PURON.

Comment

Dont know the lay out of the home 3850 sq ft and 7 tons sounds to much for me. But dont know the heat loss are Ac load. Down here you want a ac to runand run to get the humidity down. If you dont you will have mole for sure. You have to run a AC load here but just out of the box for the down 2900sq 3 1/2 to 4 ton. for what ypou have Id say for sure a V/S blower . Now that Puron thats R-410a freon and yes we will stop making the R-22 But that in the year 2030. So The cost of the R410a right now is out of this world. Also as it is a mix of freons and you have a leak and have to put some in. the whole unit has to be recovered and all new R410a put in cost cost cost. For where you are Id look at a trane V/S blower And a XL16i for a SEER of 17 and a HSPF of 10.55 on the heat pump.

Dont know what that solar board is but if it that R/B stuff forget it.
      Out of the box here. For where you are building the home the best way to go is just electric strip heaters for heat only and the xl16i AC unit. On to this put a hot water recovery unit this will kick up the seer of the AC and also give you free hot water for about 7 to 8 months out of the year. Vent the attic like H** . No ridge vents are turbine vents they dont work and do let the rain in. A attic vent fan on a tstat is the best way to go. Put all the $$$$$ for the heat pump into the bank and save. If you have a pool solar on the roof. This is the way to go . Have been in hvac for over 30 years and have had 5 homes down here . you just dont have that many cold day to pay for a heat pump here. Up north that is all my company sells now.

Im here in west palm

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
      My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =