Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Rise Condo Thermostat Replacement - Need Help!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rise Condo Thermostat Replacement - Need Help!!

Okay, so I live in a high rise condo building and I want to replace my thermostat. I believe my building is a 4 pipe system. In any case, I need to replace my thermostat because I need a programable thermostat so that I can control my energy bill a bit better. In my building I only pay for the blower and there's really no need to have it on all the time.

So I took off the current thermostat and took it to the local Home Depot. The guy there said that it'd work with something that they had there so I got some programable Honeywell. When I got home and read the instructions, it said that if I had 6 or more wires to not use this unit. My current thermostat has 6 wires connected to a wire harness that then attaches to the blower. Does anyone have any clue as to what kind of thermostat I have to use? Also, how do I know which wire goes where? Do I have to go to a special contractor's store to get something to work?

I live in Chicago so if you know of somewhere to go please let me know! Thanks.

Would need some additional information...If you are in a high rise condo which receives HVAC from a central machinery room via a 4 pipe system it sounds like you have a Hot & cold deck circulating hydronic system.

What is the wire size of the wires on the present thermostat?

Comment

If you are paying for blower operation only, you are not going to see much savings. Probably not worth the trouble.

Comment

Dean is definitely correct in his assesment that there would be little to know actual savings.

An HVAC inside fan motor is typically a 1/4hp motor.

746watts = 1 HP, therefore the motor only uses 746/4= 186.5 watts.

Even if the fan was presently running 100% of the time and you reduced the run time to 50% duty cycle, the actual savings would only be 93.5 watts. It would be definitely more cost effective to simply make sure a couple light bulbs are turned off.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =