Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious problem with a Ruud Heat Pump

I have a RUUD upnj-037JAZ heat pump, purchased in June 1999. The unit was not cooling the house so I had a contractor check it out. The capillary had a hole so it was sodered and Freon added. The unit still doesn't cool the house. The technician says the unit was run too long with no freon and it is completely contaminated. I am told it is not worth repairing, better off getting a new unit. I bought this unit less than 6 years ago !!

Is what I'm being told possible? The idea of spending another several thousand dollars on a new unit only 6 years later is sickening.

Any help would be appreciated.

The capillary had a hole so it was sodered and Freon added. The unit still doesn't cool the house. The technician says the unit was run too long with no freon and it is completely contaminated.
    First when was this done???? Why didnt he pump down the system then and add a new drier to it???? Id call another tech to look at it. The first didnt clean the unit up so it is him that left it contaminated and with noncondensables in it id also check the oil if it was all the way down. Also he cant use a lead solder on the lines has to be silver solder You need a good pull down with a vacuum pump there.

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
    My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

I agree with Imudec,,sounds like your HVAC guy is looking to make a commission on a new unit.

First of all, even if there was a hole in a capillary tube, the capillary tube is on the high pressure side of the system, so there is a constant pressure from the inside out, even when the unit is at rest until all the refrigerant is expelled, therefore it is highly unlikely that it sucked in any contaminants.

If it did happen to expel all the refrigerant and then sat for any length of time it is possible that moisture laden ambient air got into the system. In a worst case scenario that could cause rusting on the compressor valves, which would be a serious problem, but that is not something that would occur overnight, it would require a least a week or so, usually more.

In any case where there is the probability that air got into the system, the proper remedy would be to correct the original problem, then add both a new liquid and suction dryer and dehydrate the system by pulling a deep vacuum before recharging the system.

If I were you I would definitely get a second opinion from a competant HVAC tech before condemning your unit.

Comment

OK. Thanks. I've got 1 guy ready to come in and prepare a cost free estimate. I'll post the results later today.

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

I agree with Imudec,,sounds like your HVAC guy is looking to make a commission on a new unit.

First of all, even if there was a hole in a capillary tube, the capillary tube is on the high pressure side of the system, so there is a constant pressure from the inside out, even when the unit is at rest until all the refrigerant is expelled, therefore it is highly unlikely that it sucked in any contaminants.

If it did happen to expel all the refrigerant and then sat for any length of time it is possible that moisture laden ambient air got into the system. In a worst case scenario that could cause rusting on the compressor valves, which would be a serious problem, but that is not something that would occur overnight, it would require a least a week or so, usually more.

In any case where there is the probability that air got into the system, the proper remedy would be to correct the original problem, then add both a new liquid and suction dryer and dehydrate the system by pulling a deep vacuum before recharging the system.

If I were you I would definitely get a second opinion from a competant HVAC tech before condemning your unit.

Comment

OK. Here's how things worked out. Ruud agreed to replace the heat pump for $750 with a "similar" model (only differance is that the enw one is SEER 10 and the old one was SEER 13). I also has to pay for installation. They changed everything from the heat pump to the lines to the evaporator.

All told it cost me $2000 tax included. A lot of money for a heat pump that was off-warrenty by 11 months but a lot cheaper than paying full price on a new heat pump.

So, did I get a good deal or was I just sweat-talked?

Comment

Well, you downgraded to a 10 SEER unit , so your operating energy cost will go up a lot. After Jan.1, 2006 there will not be 10 SEER replacement compressors available. There will be some type of replacement compressor; it will be an expensive 13 SEER unit and will be mismatched to your system. The manufacturers are still obfuscating about what the situation will really be for people who have to replace a 10 SEER compressor.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =