Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic air cleaner or not

We are replacing our furnace and getting AC installed in our house for the first time. Our house is tri-level, about 2200 total square feet, 700 square feet is our basement, and it was built in 1960.

We want to get an extra filter installed because my husband has allergies, but we don't know what to get. One HVAC guy recommends a U.V. Light Electronic air cleaner that will clean ozone, and one guy recommends just a regular electronic air cleaner, and the third guy recommends a non-electronic air cleaner that is the Aprilaire High efficiency air cleaner. The non-electronic cleaner is cheaper, but the filters are somewhat expensive...

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Denise

If you are dealing with severe allergies i would recommend a three part filtering system.

1.As a primary filter a Good quality disposable filter pack with a very low merv rating. I would not recommend HEPA filters because from my experience they tend to be a bit on the expensive side, therefore people are reluctant to change them. Rather than that, i would recommend high quality inexpensive disposable filters and change them often. The primary filter removes all the heavy airborne particulates. (The dust you can see with the naked eye.)

2. An electrostatic filter (Electronic). It will remove smoke, airborne chemical vapors and micofine dust particles that are nearly invisible to the naked eye. As the dust particles pass through the grids the dust is electonically ionized, then it is electromagnetically pulled out of the air as it passes the second grid. These units typically have a very low power consumption and only require occassional maintenance, which may involve emptying a dust collector or wiping the grids. It is a DIY maintenance proceedure and does not require the services of an HVAC tech.

3. An Ultra-violate sanitizer. The ultra-violate sanitizer is basically just a special type of flourescent light fixture which is mounted inside the duct work. They require a special type mount that has a safety switch to insure the lamp turns off if the access door is open to prevent damaging your eyes. The UV energy literally kills bacteria and micro organisms in the same manner as sunlight does. While the UV sanitizer is electrically operated it is a very low wattage consumption, typically about 20 to 30 watts. Maintennce: Requires occassonally changing the flourescent tube in the same manner as a conventional flourescent light fixture- expect about the same service life as you would expect from a regular flourescent light)

This three stage filtering system is what is commonly installed in large commercial systems in hospitals, especially in surgical suites, cardio-pulmonary units and nurseries. When installed and operating correctly you can expect to throw your dust cloths away.

Personally, I have been servicing HVAC equipmant for over 30 years and I would not even consider installing an HVAC system in my own home without these three units.

Comment

Go for the airbear filter and the UV lights. we take out more EAC filters than we put in.People will not keep the electric one clean. Years back they made one that washed it self that didnt work .Then they cut the grid in half so it fits in the dishwasher. Now it dont take long and people dont want to do that all the time.

My .02 cents ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
      My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

The UV bulbs in duct are of little value. The air is not in contact with the light for long enough to do any good. The ultimate technology seems to be the UV light with titanium catalyst bed. NASA developed. It reduces any organic material ( living organisms, virus, etc, or organic chemical compuounds ) to CO2 and water. I have some info one one brand at the office; I will post back.

Comment

The company I was referring to is KesAir Technologies ( www.kes-pro.com)
          The technology is Photocatalytic Oxidation + UV .

I have attended a dog and pony show from this company. The research and testing behind the system seems sound. They have some impressive results in some day care facilities, and in the homes of people with serious allergies. The claim is that allergic sensitivity to various compounds found around the house and environment are cumulative. If the home atmosphere is purified, the reaction to exposures out in the world seems to be less. This is their presentation. I haven't seen the medical tests on this.

Anyway, looks like good stuff, but not cheap!
          Available from Home Depot Supply ( this is NOT the Home Depot Store.) Go to www.hdsupply.com, click on virtual catalog, go to hospitality catalog page 183.

Comment

I ripped my EAC out (in my humble opinion, these things are totally useless) and simply use Filtete Ultra filters. My wife's allergies are much better and the dust in the house is greatly reduced. I change them every 3 months (Jan 1, Apr 1, July 1, Oct 1 so I never forget). At a cost of about $17 each, I figure they're very good value.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =