Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply and Return Register Placement

Thank yo so much in advance, I have learned alot from this site!
    The set up: I just had a new forced heat furnace (75K BTU Kenmore 2-cycle) and central air (2-ton Kenmore) installed in my 1150 sq ft ranch (on a crawl). Used window a/c units before. In the older section of the house there is a main hallway that leads to four rooms (1 bath, 3 beds). None of these rooms have return registers.
    However there is one large return register low on the wall of the hallway leading to the furnace on the other side. Above this grate is the thermostat. All of the supply registers in the four rooms are at ankle heigth on the wall. In the attic, I replaced all the 4" metal ducts with 4" flex ducts rated at R6 by myself.
    The problem: My air runs almost continuosly and the farthest bedroom is still the warmest. There are no dampers to play with in this older section. I belive the air is cycling through the furnace ok and getting quite cold on each pass, but I don't think it is mixing into the room environments because of the register placements. I tell my wife and kids to keep their doors slightly adjar to the let the air return, but this has had little effect. I also flip everyone's register so the air blows up instead of down with no noticible effect. I believe I should tap registers into the supply ducts higher up on the wall and put in small door return registers. But before I start cutting stuff up, I thought I'd check with you folks. I have read over two dozen threads on this sight, and with great appreciation to you monitors, I realized that there is a lot more proper duct and register design then I had thought! BTW: In the newer section of the house, farthest from the furnace, the temp is beautiful. However those two rooms use ceiling supply registers and floor return register and are supplied by 6" flex ducts.
Working...
X
=