Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning condenser

There were a lot of good advice in some threads earlier regarding the need to change the air filter to prevent the condenser from freezing up. That point is well taken and can be followed quite easily. My question now is where and how to clean the condenser once in a while to avoid such a problem. Thanks for your help.

You should not have a problem with the condenser freezing up as long as you at least check your filter for cleanliness once a month. I think that what you really want to know is how to clean your condenser so that your unit is operating at its peak preformance. To do this you will need to shut off the power to the outside unit (either at the disconnect on the wall next to the unit or at the main breaker panel). Once the power is off the easiest way to properly clean your unit is from the inside out, which means taking the top off the unit. This is usually not that complicated, but make sure that you return everything to its proper place when putting the top back on. Failure to do so could result in major problems. When you get the top off you can carefully clean the coils from inside to out. Do not bend any of the fins on the coil as this will reduce you effiency.

My best suggestion would be to call a professional because you can really get into problems if you have certain kinds of units that if not cleaned correctly could result in more problems. You can pay one now or pay one later.

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Brandon

Comment

First of all, there appears to be a slight missunderstanding here. There is no filter on the condensor unit.

In AC mode liquid refrigerant goes to the inside coil under high pressure and the pressure is dropped by means of the capillary tubes or expansion valve as it enters the inside coil. As the hot return air passes through the coil heat energy is absorbed from the air by the liquid refrigerant causing the refrigerant to evaorate or boil into a low pressure gas, Thus the name "Evaporator coil".

As the refrigerant boils it is transformed into a low pressure gas (in simple terms refrigerant steam). The gas is then sucked back to the compressor where the gas is compressed back to a high pressure and condenses back to a liquid in the outside coil. The act of condensing releases the excess heat energy, thus the outside unit is properly called the "Condensing Unit".

Notice that i stated earlier this is the order of events in an Air Conditioner. In heat pump mode the role of the two coils is reversed.

While cleaning the evaporator coil (Inside unit) is basically a simple job it would be best to have an HVAC tech demonstrate the procedure to you because gaining access to the coil requires removing cabinet service access panels.

Removing the wrong panel can create problems and when the proper panels are open you are exposed to open 220v control circuits. In addition, during the act of cleaing the coil you will be working very close to the small diamaeter capillary tubes which are moderately fragile and very expensive to repair.

The outside condenser coils can easily be hosed out in the manner that lonestarheir described, however, the should not require hosing out more than once or twice a year in most cases, which should be a part of the spring startup service. (plus Fall tune up for heat pumps)

In addition to changing filters often, there are a couple other things you can do that will help prevent costly service calls.

Locate the low voltage thermostate cable from the house to the condensing unit and tape or tie wrap it to the underside of the electrical cable or a refrigerant line. This will prevent it from getting snagged up by the weedeater or pets running in that area.

Keep vegetation, and other items that could interfere with the air flow away from the outside condensing unit.

Turn the Air Conditioning system off when cutting grass, weed-eating or using a leaf blower in the near proximity of the condensing unit (within 50'). This will reduce the amount of dirt, grass clippings or debris that would otherwise get sucked into the coils by the condenser air flow.

Comment

Lazypup,
        Sorry for not making myself clear. I would not recommend to anyone trying to clean their own evaporator coil. One wrong move and a DIYer could easily cost themselves a whole lot of money. Cap tubes and soft copper are not to be messed with by just anyone. Being in the HVAC field, I see to many "pro's" that screw those things up without the help of the homeowner. I will try to make myself clear in the future.

Brandon

Brandon

Comment

no need to apologize,,,,i often explain a procedure even though i would not recommend the individual to perform the task. Sometimes in explaining it is easier to emphasize the risks. On the other hand, when we explain the procedure it may help the homeowner understand what a technician must do to correct the problem.

Comment

A big big thank you to both LazyPup and lonestarheir. I understand what you were saying. It was very well layed out. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =