Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C leaking water

HELP!!! My A/C unit is leaking water out of the bottom and it doesn't cool very well at all. I had a tech in to check it out approx 2 weeks ago. He cleaned the drain pipe and filled the freon (he said it was not very low at all but he did put a little in). He said that it should be fine now and charged me $75. Then, after only about a week, it has started doing it again. What could the problem be? I am a little hesitant to call a tech and pay another $75 for him to pour some bleach in the little pipe thing again then call it a day. Can anyone give me an idea of what to do?

My first thought would be call the same company and have them check the evaporator coil for cleanliness. How long has it been since you changed your filter. Both of these things will cause the problems you have described as well as several others. However these are the most common solutions to the type of problem that you are having.

The original service co. shouldn't charge you a service call, but I am sure will charge you for the coil cleaning.

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Brandon

Comment

In the past month, I have changed the filter 4 times (it keeps getting wet). Also, I don't know which part is the coil but, if it is the v shaped thing with fins, then it was just cleaned approx 2 months ago when the entire bottom half froze up. However, it was cleaned by my neighbor not professionally. Is cleaning the coil something that I can do myself? If not, approximately how much should this cost? (We are first time homeowners. All previous residences were in military housing where we were not responsible for maintenance. One month after buying the house, my husband left for iraq. I have no idea what I am doing here but, can't afford to call someone in for every problem like I would have in military housing)

Comment

Also, don't know if this matters but, we live in GA where the temp has been running an average of 95 with a heat index of between 105 and 110.

Comment

Proper cleaning of the evaporator coil should have some strong chemical's involved in order to actually clean in between the fins. It is normally adviseable to have this done by a professional because of the problems that could be caused by not doing it correctly, or damaging the refrigerant lines and such. By the way it sounds (very easily could be wrong) the interior portion of your hvac system is in a closet in the house correct? It is possible for you to do it, don't get me wrong, but being an a/c company owner, I have had to fix alot of homeowners "accidents." It would have been alot cheaper for them to have called me out in the first place, to put it lightly. As for the price you should pay, hard for me to say being from Texas, but mostly it depends on if it can be cleaned in place or totally removed from its casing.

Brandon

Brandon

Comment

By the way, call the company who serviced you recently and tell them your situation and ask if they will send different tech to check the system. They should be willing to do that at no additional charge. You should ask for a supervisor or service manager to come out if at all possible. If they will not step up to the plate for you - run as fast as you can. Any company that is willing to take your money and not solve your problems completly is not a company I would want to do business with. Of course you shouldn't expect for that company to do any additonal repairs for free, but at least you will have a new perspective to go on.

Brandon

Brandon

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I will be calling them back tomorrow. (Today is Sunday).

Comment

, then it was just cleaned approx 2 months ago when the entire bottom half froze up. However, it was cleaned by my neighbor not professionally. Is cleaning the coil something that I can do myself?

Have to ask did it ice up again after he cleaned the coil are where you low on freon here to cause it to freeze???????

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

NO, I don't think it froze up again. When the tech came out, he said that it was not very low on freon but, he did go ahead and top it off. Just an update, I had read in another string about an aerosol can off cleaner that you can get to clean the coil in a window unit. So, I went to Lowe's and bought that. I turned the unit off for approx 4hours to let it dry then, I sprayed it down with the cleaner. I then put the cover back on and put in another new filter. Then turned on the A/C. It has only been on for about half an hour now but, the air coming out of the vent feels SUBSTANTIALLY cooler than before. At this point, I intend to either buy another can tomorrow just to get it as clean as possible or, if the house isn't cool by morning, call the tech back.

Comment

You want the big copper line out side to be cold and wet when the unit is running

ED

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =