Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzing noise

Hello to all. First post. My outside unit on my home air conditioner is making a buzzing noise when it is setting idle. If I disconnect the power on the outside of the house the buzzing continues. If I then turn of the thermostat it stops. Overall the system seems to running fine. Any suggestions on a start. Thanks

You have a contactor that needs to be replaced or it could be the transformer. The contactor is your best bet though

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

Thanks I will start there.
      I appreciate the response.

Comment

The motor contactor has a set of shading coils on the pole pieces. All these are is pieces of copper wire embedded in recesses in the iron. Usually they are tight in the recesses. Sometimes they loosen up or may even fall out. Their function is to reduce the "eddy" currents set up within a magnetic field of iron pole pieces. The pole pieces are insulated laminates of flat iron punchings laid one on top of the other - stacked if you will. When a coil is placed around these punchings and with current applied, magnetizes the whole stack and induces minute currents between the punchings. The shading coil "shorts" out these minute currents so the stack doesn't buzz.

Comment

My outside unit on my home air conditioner is making a buzzing noise when it is setting idle.

Do you mean it is buzzing and not running????

If I disconnect the power on the outside of the house the buzzing continues.
          Was the unit running when you turned the power to it off???
          like said it can be the contactor. But from what you say you have ifs ifs

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

System is a York heat pump if that makes any difference. Seems to be operating & cycling fine. When I shut off the power outside the house the system was sitting idle in between cycles. If I turn sytem off @ the thermostat the buzzing stops. It is not a loud noise. Notice it at night when all is quiet.
            Thanks Jeff

Comment

Ill bet its the 4way valve coil there in the heat pump. Feel the 4 way valve and see if thats not where the buzzing is comeing from. That works off the tstat not off the power to the unit

ED

Comment

Working...
              X
              =