Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Wiring Question

I am replacing a mechanical thermostat for our central Ac / forced heat system (Ac is Trane XB 1000, Heat is Trane XE 80). There are (5)wires to the mechanical thermostat that are wired as follows;

1)Yellow wire to terminal "y"
    2)Green wire to terminal "g"
    3)White wire to terminal "w"
    4)Red wire and blue wire to terminal "r"

The progammable thermostat (Honeywell) has the following terminals:

Y,G,W,R,Rc. (R and Rc have a factory installed removable jumper)

I am not sure what to do with the Blue wire that is attached to terminal "r" on the mechanical thermostat along with the Red wire. I see (3) potential options:

1) Leave the jumper in place and wire the blue wire to the "r" terminal along with the red wire as was the mechanical thermostat

2) Remove the jumper and wire the red wire to the "r" terminal and the blue wire to the "rc" terminal

3)Leave the jumper in place and wire the red wire to the "R" terminal and not use the blue wire.

Any advice is appreciated

You need the jumper R to Rc when you only have one transformer that works heat and cool. Check the schematic that came with the tstat

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

It would all depend on what the blue wire is connected to at the furnace

Brandon
      - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Brandon
      - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

What should I be looking for at the furnace? When I pulled the access cover I saw (1) transformer that the red wire connect to.

Comment

Check the wire schematic on the blower door of the furnace . Whats the blue wire on down there??????

ED

Comment

Roswell, the tstat tells you what the wire 'should connect to', not necessarily the correct wire color, so look at the schematic on the furnace door. Mostly, if you are understanding what the instructions are telling you, you can verify thru the tstat wiring block inside the furnace as to what wires 'should' go where. On that wiring block you will find 2 wires that go directly to the outside unit, Leave Them Alone.

Your are what you eat so, eat everything you like.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =