Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat & Heating difficulties

I have hot water radiators. A WeilMclain CGM-4 boiler with a B&G LR20BF pump. I recently installed a Ritetemp 8022c thermostat to replace the ancient Honeywell round one that was there when I moved in. However, I am now experiencing really big temperature swings. When the Ritetemp is set to 68, the house temperature spikes as high as 72, and drifts way back down again. I have tried reducing the "swing" setting on the thermostat, but it hasn't helped. Since its a digital, I can't change the anticipator setting either.

One thing I have noticed is that with the old thermostat, the radiators got warm, but never really too hot to touch. Now they get much hotter. I think this is related to the fact that with the old thermostat, the pump ran constantly, even when the burners on the boiler were off. With the Ritetemp, the pump only runs when the burners are on. Is there a way to wire things so that the pump runs constantly again? There are 2 wires from the boiler to the thermostat, at the boiler they are labeled R and G.

your system works the same way it did before, you only have a two wire stat, so the stat kicks the pump and the burners on at the same time, what happens to most is the boiler comes up to temp at about 180 degrees and goes off on limit, the pump will continue to run as long as there is still a call for heat. the flame will cycle on that limit temp, as soon as it goes down to 160 150 it will restart the burners. you need a digital stat that is set up for hydronic systems, check your instructions you may have a swicth behide the stat that you need to change for it to work properly with hot water.

Comment

Just take and wire the tstat so it turns on the pumps. Put a Aquastat on the boiler to turn on the burner a 160o and off at 180o

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
      My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

I checked the stat, there's is not a setting or switch for hydronic systems. Do you know of a stat that works well w/ hot water heat? I looked at several at the store, but none of them made any mention of being specifically designed for hot water systems.

Ed, The temp setting inside the boiler is at 180o, I take it this means that's the max temp it will go to before it shuts off the burners. How would I wire the tstat to turn on the pump?

Comment

the stat does turn the pump on, we are talking about a little household package boiler right, you should have a aquastat relay on it that turns the boiler burners on and the pump at the same time.
          And it's been a several years since i've worked on a small household boiler but i remember installing digital t-stats that had a switch on the back of them that gave you two choices, I think it was marked GAS or Hydronic(meaning water)do a search online for a stat and read alittle about the different one's

Comment

the stat does turn the pump on, we are talking about a little household package boiler right, you should have a aquastat relay on it that turns the boiler burners on and the pump at the same time.
            And it's been a several years since i've worked on a small household boiler but i remember installing digital t-stats that had a switch on the back of them that gave you two choices, I think it was marked GAS or Hydronic(meaning water)do a search online for a stat and read alittle about the different one's

Comment

Working...
            X
            =