Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you have adequate make up air at the furnace, hot water heater, once the unit fires up it should draw through the chimney up and out. provide some kind of fresh air to the furnace, utility room.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      Simple - put a chimney cap on the chimney. Also check to see the stack is the highest object above the roof. Outside temp has a lot to do with it too. 55 or below should provide adequet "pull" for the chimney.
      Can i open my basement window a crack.Would it help for the down draft to hot water heater.The window is right near both furnace and hot water heater

Comment

try it and see!

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          Simple - put a chimney cap on the chimney. Also check to see the stack is the highest object above the roof. Outside temp has a lot to do with it too. 55 or below should provide adequet "pull" for the chimney.
          I have chimney caps one for fireplace and one for hot water tank. The furnace is not connected to flue.We had a new furnace put in about 8yrs ago. The plumber put pc pipes that goes outside the house.Do you think lowering the cap that is for the hot water tank will make a differance or is that too dangerous carbon monoxide back.thanks

Comment

Same problem

I have the IDENTICAL problem described by rollerdawg. My big symptom was the scent of smoke in the basement during a fire in the fireplace.

Then I discovered a bigger problem. The hot water heater was not venting properly. The downdraft in the flue used by the hot water heater has been preventing the hot water heater from venting properly. This was caused by a steady flow even when I provided make up air.

One solution I found was the addition of a Draft Inducer on the hot water heater. But this will not solve the problem when the hot water heater was not on and I was making a fire in the fireplace.

SO now I am strongly considering replacing the hot water heater (13 years old) and install a power vent hot water heater and venting it out the side of the house. This will solve:

1. The hot water heater will vent properly as it has a fan to send the gases out the side of the house.
            2. I will close up the flue previously used by the hot water heater so no air will never be drawn down it again, never!

Some negatives to this solution:
            1. Cost, power vent hot water heaters are more expensive
            2. Electricity use. Power vent water heaters require electricity.
            3. Power vent water heaters have had a history of being noisy (hopefully choosing a quiet one will eliminate this disadvantage

IF any one has a suggestion for a quiet power vent hot water heater, please post your suggestion or email me directly. Thanks.

-Scott
            Sudbury, Massachusetts

Comment

Working...
            X
            =