Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ac fan motor

I have a GE central ac unit manufactured 08/83 serial # w134236846, model #btd730a100a0.over the last four years i have replaced the fan motor two times . The original motor was 1/4 hp , I was unable to find one that size locally so I used a 1/2 hp and also replaced the capacitor the last time , which was two years ago.It seems to me the motor should last longer than that and I am wondering if I have installed it incorrectly, specifically the wiring of the capacitor.I tryed to rewire it as I found it and was wondering if I could gain a little education beforeI put another one on.Thanks for any help. Getting hot in georgia. bluumoon

Anyone have any ideas?
    Try

Comment

The 1/2 hp is the problem. Most think well the larger motor is less worked so it should last longer. The truth is that motor is running too hot. You also said you replaced the cap last time, what about the first time cause the 2 motors should have different ratings on the cap. Find a 1/4 hp and check your amps when done, if there under the rated i bet it will last longer.

Comment

Subtituting an oversized motor is a very common mistake that will nearly always result problems.

There is a basic law in physics which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we can only change its form.

By example a light bulb changes electrical energy to light energy.

In its simplest form we could then say an electric motor is a device designed to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

There is another law of physics which states that 746watts of electrical energy equals 1 Horsepower of mechanical energy thus if we require a 1/2HP motor we design a motor winding that will draw 746/2 = 373watts of electrical energy however that motor will continue to draw that amount of energy even if the attached load is much less.

When you installed a 1/2HP motor in place of the 1/4HP the motor was drawing its rated 373watts of electrical energy. 186.5watts of that energy was then being converted to mechanical energy to drive the fan but since energy cannot be created nor destroyed the remaining 186.5watts of surplus energy was then being converted to Heat Energy in the motor windings and the motor burned out prematurely.

Comment

check with repairparts clinic. I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable original replacement. grainger or baldor motors should have on the shelf units to replace your original.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =