Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Install Questions, Please help!

Hello all-
    I recently purchased a 1600 sq ft house with radiator-delivered heat. The boiler is approximately 40 years old (144k BTU), and needs to be serviced. I received a credit at closing for the service, in the amount of $500.

I managed to locate a New Yorker CGS 50 boiler with minor cosmetic damage for $400. To me, it is a no-brainer to purchase it to replace my existing boiler. The seller is willing to allow my HVAC tech inspect the boiler at time of purchase, so I can walk away if it is more significantly damaged than it appears.

Here is where I need your help. I have had 3 quotes for installation:
    #1 was $3900 and required a new chimney liner.

#2 was for $1600 and did not include a new liner.

#3 would not install a boiler not purchased through their company, though they did tell me that I could "get away" with using the current chimney since it is not exposed. IE- the only part of the chimney visible from the outsite is the 4 or 5 feet that stick above the roof.

Does this make sense? This conflicting info is frustrating. Do I NEED a new liner? Obviously with a new home purchase money is tight, but I don't want to install the bolier only to have my chimney collapse in 5 years!

Thanks in advance!
    -Brad

PS- If any pros out there in the Near-West Chicago 'burbs would like to give me a quote, email or PM for contact info.

Weather you need a new liner would be a question for the inspector. Did all 3 contractors look into the chimney? The fumes tend to be chemically active and can eat out the chimney mortar over time, hence need for liner. You usually can see liner condition by looking into chimney and shining a briht light into it.

The guys who say you don't need liner may be hoping that inspector will not examine the liner, I dunno. If inspector writes it up, t hey can always just shrug and say - well, that didn't work, here's a price for the new liner...

Comment

There may not be a problem with the physical condition of the chimney, it may just be too big.

Under the International Residential Code When connecting a flue to a masonary chimney the cross sectional area of the chimney flue may be no more than 7 times the cross sectional area of the flue you are connecting. Under the Uniform Plumbing Code it may be no greater than 4 times.

Example: Assuming the duct we are connecting is a 5 round duct.

Round duct area is PI x Radius squared
      Radius equal 1/2 diameter

Area = 3.1416 x (2.5 x 2.5)
      A= 3.1416 x 6.25
      A = 19.63sq.in

IRC maximum = A x 7
      IRC Max = 19.63 x 7 = 137.41sq.in

Maximum square flue size = Square root of 137.41 = 11.72"

IRC maximum masonary flue size
      11-3/4" x 11-3/4"

UPC = 4 times
      19.63sq.in x 4 78.52sq.in