Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home thermostat.

Hello,

Im having some trouble with the wireing of my new programble thermostat. There are three wires (red, black, and white). On the old (non programable) thermostat, only the white (W) and black (R) were connected. I do not know how to do the new wireing. I have a gas heat only system with two speed fan. You can look at the wireing they suggest here: http://white-rodgers.com/pdfs/catalog/cat_page_174.pdf

The heat/fan are workign, BUT, when I put the fan on "ON" it does not turn on. It only turns on when the heat comes on.

Right now, i have the White wire on (W) the black on (RH) and the Red on (G). I do not think that i did it correctly. Please let me know which wires are supposed to connect where. Thanks!

Normally on most thermostats the White is HEAT.. The RED is the common(power) and the green is the BLOWER (fan) MOST thermostats with just 3 or 4 wires have the R and RC "jumped"....Hube

Comment

Could you tell me which of my wires connect to what according to the diagram on the web page i mentioned?

BTW, RH and RC are infact jumped.

Comment

Since your thermostat wire is not the same color code as marked on the Therm, you will have to check at the terminal point pad on the furnace to see what colors are which . Make sure the G is to the FAN RELAY The W is to the HEAT RELAY.IF you had A/C, the Y would connect to the COOLING CONTACTOR COIL terminal. The R is the power from L1 (HOT) transformer This is probably as clear as mud. Post back if you still have questions, Hube

Comment

Ok, I looked at the connection at the furnace and it turns out that the red wire is not even connected there.

=oP.

I guess i did it right after all since the heat works properly with the way it is connected now. I guess the red COULD be used to control the fan, but it is not connected to do so. I WOULD like to hook it up so that the fan can be operated independantly during the summer for air circulation.

Are there any suggestions on where i would hook up this red wire on the furnace? Are there any issues i should know about b4 i attempt this?

Comment

Try tracking this Red wire to see where it goes. If the heat cycle is operating ok (burner and fan operate) then by tracking this wire and finding it goes to the fan motor, this could be the wire that will operate the fan continuously. Do you have a voltage tester? Check the lead from the motor when the fan is operating in heating cycle. Hube

Comment

There is nowhere to track the red wire to. The three wires were grouped together and the red wire was cut off just where the three wire would emerge from the 'group-wrapping'. I wanted to know where i could connect this wire so that it WOULD control the fan.

Comment

BUMP

Comment

bump

can't anyone help me with this?

Comment

Hook the red wire to "G" on the terminal strip in furnace.

Hvac mechanic

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =