Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heating problem - please help

Any One Who's Kind Engough to Offer Advice...

My fiance and I recently moved into a house that has a 3-zone heating system - forced hot water (one for basement, one for the 1st floor, and one for the 2nd floor). However, we do not get any heat on the second floor, and the heating on the 1st and the basement run continously (and get overheated) to compensate the lack of heat on the second floor. We had a heating guy come out and checked it out, and he assumed the valves were broken, so he replaced some valved and put in a new pump for the second floor (thinking that it will solve the no-heat problem). Well, the basement and the 1st floor do not get overheated any longer, but we still have no heat on the 2nd floor. The heating guy then went on to conclude that there must be a blockage or a kink somewhere in the piping for the 2nd floor, and he doesn't know where the blockage is. His solution to the problem is to completely disregard the current heating system that is in place for the 2nd floor and put it brand new furnace in the attic and pipe new ducts for the second floor. He estimates that this will cost $2,400 USD.

Is this correct? This just seems like a hodge-podge solution. Can there be alternative solutions to our problem? Why would there be a blockage in the piping? And why couldn't one just use a compressor to blow it out like one does with a sprinkler system. And does anyone know if we have any recourse action against the seller since this problem seemed to have been pre-existing and there was no disclosure about it during our closing.

We appreciate any advice anyone might have.... Thank you very much!

I don't know much about it, but this doesn't sound right to me. Have you got a second opinion? He didn't get it right the first time, it might be time to try someone else. Anyone can recommend you spend more money, you need someone that can fix it!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

I'm assuming this is a oil fired furnace?
      You should have 3 zone valves somewhere near the furnace. The one for the second floor is probably stuck in the closed position. Usually you can open them manually. I would try that. As far as a "blockage" in the system, I doubt it. Unless you have some really obscure heating system. But if you have zoned heat, it's more than likely a copper piped hot water to baseboard heat system. Is that correct?
      Post back with more details.
      Joe

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
      <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
      X
      =