Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Leak

I want to know the guidelines on checking a coil leak. My repaireman said i could have a coil leak. He had to add freon to my unit. He added 2 cans of freon. Is this expensive!! How much am i looking at? I have 3ton unit. This is a follow up !!!
    Okay, Now i hear a loud noise outside my unit. When i turn on my ac this noise wasnt heard of before. So i decided to call him again and told him to come look at the unit and hear the loud noise from the ac unit outside. He now tells me maybe that noise is because he added to much freon. He said he belives he overcharged the unit. Then tells me there wasnt a leak after all. He says also he might give me back my money. He charged me 100.00 for total. Why is he changing hes mind all of of sudden . Please explain!!

first of all did your repairman do any leaks checks before adding freon? this is done when the unit is operating and uses an ultrasonic leak checker. another device is a glow tube sniffer. this is a propane tank with a burner on it. the freon reacts with a copper plate inside the burner and turns the color from blue to green. next check is using a standard gauge set. high side pressures can be about 250 psi or higher and low side between 50 and 70 psi. anything much lower and the unit could be drawing a vacuum. at 40 psi, the low pressure cutout may be operating and cut off the compressor. the evaporator fan will still be running. if he added liquid freon to the low side, the valves inside the compressor could have been damaged, prompting the need for a new compressor. small units use a spring steel valve arrangement while the larger units use something like the valves in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      first of all did your repairman do any leaks checks before adding freon? this is done when the unit is operating and uses an ultrasonic leak checker. another device is a glow tube sniffer. this is a propane tank with a burner on it. the freon reacts with a copper plate inside the burner and turns the color from blue to green. next check is using a standard gauge set. high side pressures can be about 250 psi or higher and low side between 50 and 70 psi. anything much lower and the unit could be drawing a vacuum. at 40 psi, the low pressure cutout may be operating and cut off the compressor. the evaporator fan will still be running. if he added liquid freon to the low side, the valves inside the compressor could have been damaged, prompting the need for a new compressor. small units use a spring steel valve arrangement while the larger units use something like the valves in your car.
      I have a Payne unit that is 1 years old and still has a 5 year warranty. This ac unit is outside that where he added the freon. If the compressor was damaged due to the overcharged freon will my warranty cover this compressor?

Comment

you'll have to read the warranty information. most items must be serviced by "factory authorized personnel" - or the warranty is null and void.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =