Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No heat from furnace

I have a comfort maker hot surface ignition furnace. Had a problem with the blower motor staying on. Replaced relay (thanx to the forum) and everything was ok. The new problem is that the igniter wont heat up(glow) and the gas valve does not seem to be opening(no gas odor). Replaced the igniter but that didn't solve the problem. It uses a White-Rodgers model 50E47-140 ignition module with a diagnostic LED. The LED shows nothing (is not lit or blinking) even on what should be the initial start up when the thermostat temp is set. The forced draft motor starts like it should but nothing else happens. Wondering if it could be either the module or the gas valve.

12/8 Well I measured the voltage at the gas valve and got 26.8v.
    I then disconnected the igniter wires from the module and jumped them. Igniter glowed. Upon some advice I tied the "W" wire and the "R" wire together in the thermostat. The advice said if the gas valve opens than the thermostat is bad, if not than possibly the gas valve is bad. Still not sure which is bad. Wondering if the gas valve being bad would effect the igniter? Both items are kind of expensive so I would hate to buy both when I only need one.

When you tied the R-(Hot) to the W- (Heat), What occured? If the ignitor worked and/or the valve opened, then the Thermostat could be faulty. Hube

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Hube

When you tied the R-(Hot) to the W- (Heat), What occured? If the ignitor worked and/or the valve opened, then the Thermostat could be faulty. Hube
      Nothing happened when R and W were tied together. The only way I could get the igniter to glow was by jumping the L-(Line) and the IGN-(Igniter) wires off the ignition module (Basically sent 120v directly to the igniter and bypassed the ignition module.

Comment

R & W are the connecters when the thermostat calls for a heat cycle. You say "nothing happened when R and W were tied to-gether. What this tells you is no current (24V) is going to the ignitor/gas valve ...

Comment

Would this be because of the ignition module? Like I said before, when the thermostat calls for heat the forced draft motor kicks on like it should, but nothing else. For example, the ignition module has a 30 second purge after which the ignitor is suppose to warm up for 15 seconds than the gas valve is suppose to open. None of this happens like it should except for the forced draft motor coming on.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =