Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini-Duct AC system - home owner install?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Duct AC system - home owner install?

Has anyone (non-contractor) installed a mini-duct AC system in their house?

I have a L-shaped ranch, with easy access into every room (whether through the attic or basement) and I'm considering installing one of these systems.

Any pros / cons of the system?

what do you mean "mini-duct?" I have installed a complete heating system using snap together duct work and other ductwork I fabricated. for this type of ductwork check out DUC-PAC in East Longmeadow MA.

Comment

I mean the small 2"-3" diameter duct sections. And the compressor is usually installed in the attic, with all of the registers in the ceiling of the rooms.

But I will check out DUC-PAC - I will one town over.

Comment

I mean I live one town over

Comment

It's rather unusual to have a three inch duct. three inches isn't much for air flow! even a typical dryer hose (4 inch) is small for cooling. a flexi insulated fiberglass duct seems a little more efficient. I
          doubt you can find a register boot for three inch but you have a better chance using 6 inch You're one town over ?? Springfield? Agawam? I used to live in Greenfield/ Turners Falls area for 29 years.

Comment

High Velocity AC

Are you talking about one of the High velocity air-conditioning systems like Spacepac? If so, they work really well. You can put the unit in the attic, or in a closet. You also need space for a return....which can be in a ceiling. The system cools things down very quickly and dries things out about 20% more effectively than traditional AC systems.

Comment

Yes, a High velocity air-conditioning system

Yes, a High velocity air-conditioning system, that is what I was referring to.

Does anyone have any knowledge about a home owner installing one of these systems? How complicated? Any idea on costs?

Comment

I've installed a couple a few years back and they worked very good. Proper design is critical for good operation. I would recommend a conventional duct system if it's an option. If not go with the hv system (i used spacepak) making sure sure it's designed right including length of each duct. I know when i installed them all the sizing could be done on their website, not sure if thats still the case.
                Last edited by mud; 08-12-2007, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =