Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air conditioner problem

Wow! Just found this forum. Hope someone can help me. Today my air conditioner (outside unit) stopped working. I checked the circut breaker and it was tripped. I tried to reset it and it would buzz and then trip again. I went outside and disconnected the power and then the breaker would stay on but as soon as I reconnected the unit it would trip the breaker. My brother-in law who is a electrican says it sounds like a bad compresser. Anyone have any thoughts on what is wrong? Thanks for any advise you can give. I own a overhead door company so I can maybe answer some of those questions in that forum.

have your bro in law put an amprobe around one compressor lead and read the LRA. if it is in excess the breaker will trip and the amprobe will read the amperage. with the compressor disconnected from the line - read the winding resistance to ground. If it reads full scale to ground the winding is burnt up. If he has a meggar - use that for reading winding resistance to ground. Next -- replace compressor or try to unjam compressor. there are kits out there for reversing a compressor - called a hot shot or hot start compressor kit.

Comment

also have him check the contactor that is in the condenser unit
      Is it beer thirty??

Comment

yup, sorry but thats exactly what it sounds like. An HVAC guy will be able to change it out for you, compressors run about 300+, + labour.

Comment

yup, sorry but thats exactly what it sounds like. An HVAC guy will be able to change it out for you, compressors run about 300+, + labour.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =